[Ansteorra] on leaving the SCA--

Ld.blackmoon ld.blackmoon at cox.net
Tue Feb 5 17:00:05 PST 2013

greetings

ok, having read all these posts , I believe that there is an ongoing
communication issue .
as has been pointed out in the past , this is the modern internet, not face
to face communication .
a lot of things , don't translate to this electronic media well. such as
tonal inflection, facial expressions, body language, etc.

while lady ismet used the " soup Nazi " term as an example , to illustrate
her point, she did not say she wanted to run around calling her friends
Nazi's.
back before pc patrol members and even email lists were around , I had a
friend who's security guard uniform made him look like a Nazi officer. when
ever people would call him a Nazi , he would snap to attention , slap his
heels together , do the stiff arm salute, and say  " BIG SMILE " to which
people would either crack up laughing , or walk away disgusted , but they
stopped attacking him verbally...
he was in no way saying the Nazi's were something to look up to, but was in
fact trying to improve a bad situation.

in turn , your posts lady astridr , when read can come across as verbal
attacks ,( even though you probably didn't intend that at all, emotion can
hinder online communication ( in both directions ) in many ways ) because
someone mentioned a word you loath .
even the way you speak of the  " period Nazi " in your last post comes
across as an attack.

" Because that's what is going on when you call someone a "period Nazi",
you're trying to make them feel bad about the thing that brings them joy."

I don't think you were trying to say that its not ok to call someone a
period Nazi when they are pouncing on nubies, ( or even old time members )
,talking down to those they have chosen to attack , because those people are
enjoying attacking and belittling someone that probably doesn't know that
everyone isn't going to treat them like that , and by calling them a Nazi,
they might have " their " feelings hurt .
(which makes it sound like its not ok to call a bully a name because it
might hurt their feelings. )
but that's how it can read .besides would calling them American cavalry be
any better ?? how many thousands of women and children did they kill to make
way for more white settlers ? and there are many other groups and
governments that have acted just as badly.

in the old days ( early 80's ) it didn't matter that in the real world we
were losers, geeks, dreamers,etc. because when we went to an event , or a
revel, or a practice , we weren't Joe geek, Moe loser,  or Denise dreamer ,
we were " lord " or " lady " somebody , from someplace far off , and we were
honorable, and chivalrous , and we tried to act accordingly in our home made
t-tunic and jeans , and our carpet armor with Freon can helm and shopping
cart face grills.
we bowed to the ladies, we bowed to anyone with a crown ( ok so some of them
were undoubtedly coronets , but to us they were crowns, and thus to be
respected. )
but many times it seems that as we have tried to become more " period" we
may have become in some ways " TOO PERIOD " we now have all the back
stabbing ,political maneuvering , and caste systems of much of the middle
ages ... the only things missing are the hereditary royals, and poisoning
the nobles , so some other " noble " could take his place : (  , at least
the " knights " aren't " taking their pleasure " with every milk maid they
come across , or robbing the peasants  ( thank you good sir knights   : )

we used to go to events to relax , and enter a fantasy world , brought to
life by everyone there ,( anyone remember wolfstar blowing horns all night
on one end of the site, and rolling thunder playing drums all night on the
other end of site ?? , or how about wandering from camp to camp listening to
many different bards sing songs, or tell tales by the camp fire ?? or even
watching the children ( and some adults, if I recall namron or was it
weisenfeuer ? had a very potent maypole =) dancing the may pole  ?? ) but
now dancing the maypole is considered npc ( not politically correct ) since
it is a " fertility " dance and anyone under 21 shouldn't be near it,
because we could be held liable and sued ) , now it seems that we go to
events, to climb some ladder, or work, or complain that someone else isn't
playing the way we like... but you don't hear people talking about how much
fun some event was , you hear about somebody suing , or some lawsuit, or
ways to avoid the possibility of either.  so we seem to have traded in fun
for fear : (

anyway , I hope I haven't added to the confusion, and communication
problems, or offended anyone.
this is after all just my opinion , which is just as common ( or valuable )
as anyone else's, and I hope that it does provoke thought without provoking
anger : )

Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
Arthur