[Ansteorra] SCA--the good

Hugh & Belinda Niewoehner BurgBorrendohl at valornet.com
Wed Feb 6 04:58:25 PST 2013

Perhaps as someone long in tooth, I have the tendency of many my age to
look back at the past with my rosy colored spectacles and sigh..."Those
were the good times."

We certainly would not have stuck around for 25 years if there wasn't
fun and good things about the SCA.  Some of the most talented,
intelligent, creative people in the 'verse gather here.  And they are
more than willing to share with others.  When we took my niece to
Twelfth night in Steppes one year and she saw the bardic talent--she was
awed.  She is into theatre and sees many talented people perform, so I
at first was worried she would not be impressed.  How foolish of me.

When I speak of learning crafts in the SCA to those who do them in the
'real' world they are amazed.  Try pricing what it would cost you for
weaving, spinning, and dying workshops, etc. outside the SCA.  I have,
it's not cheap.  I have been able to try my hand at pot throwing, glass
bead making, and arts that I didn't even know existed (such as wire
weaving) because of the Society. Don't know how to make your own
garb--someone will offer to help.

To those of you who are still seeing the magic, I am thrilled for you!
May you always. And there is nothing more fun than watching a'newbie'
discovering those moments.  Our friends who we invited to the event a
few weeks ago were a joy to watch. She was wide eyed and taking
everything in, constantly commenting, "This is so great..."   He was
just somewhat amused, I thinkand was there because she wanted to be.
Unfortunately their mundane lives are even more complex than ours and so
they may never be able to participate.

As some have mentioned, we each get different things from the Society.
I didn't get what I'd hoped to find, but I did find other thingsto
treasure.

Ismet