[Ansteorra] SCA Awesomeness

Sandra Geil alexsandraeryn at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 6 16:27:27 PST 2013

First a simple request
     Please try to trim your posts for the sake of those of us who receive in digest...

Second a bit of personal history and a thought (yes I know, thinking is dangerous)

My first event:

Duke Edmond of Hertford gathered several historically minded freshmen together helped us with quick garb and whisked us off to a Demo

The year was 1986
The Demo was at the Stronghold Castle in Byron Illinois (built by the Strong Publishing Family from Chicago)

Things I did that hooked me in:
Rode a horse in garb while a friend snapped a photo or two
The horse was part of the parking patrol and the kind rider's only question was "In a long dress?"
Saw fantastic artisans at work and brave fighters showing off for the guests
Enjoyed performances from a local Madrigal Choir - OK not SCA but the feel was great!
Slept rolled in a blanket on the floor of the Main hall of the castle surrounded by a roomful of people doing the same

I felt had been to the middle ages and found it to be more than good - the joy of the memory helped pull me through the interesting politics of the local shire for a long time

Another even that year in Yar Vetler (Spelling?)
I wandered into the kitchen and asked how I cold help. I prepped carrots and they fed me Baklava - can you say hooked on service!

Most recent event

Dragon's Fire Yule Revel

Every Event I have been to at the Tor has been wonderful - the people are very welcoming and love persona play after their own fashion

There was some service - a particular scroll - but the best part of the event was spoiling some newcomers - and I was not alone in this activity.
If you have not visited a Tor Yule Revel yo might not know they have a little raffle - my first winning ticket garnered me some lovely turquoise wool - the rest of my winning tickets went into the hands of the college students down the table from me - it was more fun watching the light in their eyes as they chose form the selection than it would have been picking for myself.

I hope that those of us who engaged in the spoiling helped them choose to return - I know some of the students are in contact with others in Elfsea.

I guess what I am trying to say is perhaps we should think about how to pay forward the joy of the SCA.

I hope in my efforts to interest people in the SCA I have repaid the investment that Duke Edmond made in me.

In Service lies MY Dream,
Ealasaid Mac al'Bhaird known as al AERYN