[Ansteorra] Demo Opportunity?

Monalee R Kendall monaleekr at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 10:14:40 PST 2013

Greetings all,

In my capacity as Hospitaler I recently received an email suggesting
that we look into a demo opportunity at Comicpalooza being held here
in Houston on Memorial Day weekend. Now, I know that goes up against
Steppes Warlord but I thought I'd check it out anyway. Here is part of
the response I received back from John, the main organizer:

"Sounds like fun! We need to know a few things first, such as how much
space you would require, how long the event would last, if there are
any other events you'd like to present (such as sword fighting 101,
How to Talk Like an Anachronism, craft workshops, or anything else you
might like to do to engage the public) We would also need to know how
many people would be involved in putting on the presentation(s)."

Another bit of info from John:

"As for the discount, almost all the fan group sales are for 3-day
passes. At the door a 3-day pass is $50. Fan groups can usually buy
the same passes for $25 or $30. Any difference in price is usually
related to group participation. For example, the 501st or Houston
Ghostbusters are extremely involved. They provide panels, interactive
events, and are sometimes available for promotional activities, etc.,
whereas a group like perhaps the Harry Potter Meetup Group of Dallas
might have a very low level of participation and get the $30 price.
With the SCA, you are exactly the sort of group to whom we expect to
extend the $25 rate. Alternatively, if the SCA as an organization is
looking for fundraising opportunities, we can create the group
discount code at $30 and provide a $5 commission to the organization.
We do that sort of deal with a number of charities and promotional
partners.

Also, it's worth mentioning that Comicpalooza is not like a lot of the
other comic cons around the state. We schedule events, entertainment,
and activities until 2 am on Friday and Saturday and until 8 pm on
Sunday. We have concerts, screenings, live performances, and a ton of
other stuff going on all the time. You might be surprised at how many
people want to come once they know what we offer, and from how far
away they will travel."

He is very enthusiastic about our participation and I wanted to see if
those of us who are not able to make it to Steppes might be interested
in this.

What do y'all think?

Genevieve

--
It doesn't take all kinds there just ARE all kinds.