[Ansteorra] on leaving the SCA--

SoldierGrrrl soldier.grrrl at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 13:45:42 PST 2013

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 2:08 PM, Hugh & Belinda Niewoehner <
BurgBorrendohl at valornet.com> wrote:

>   We still monitor activities on lists and, in truth, see too much of the
>> modern world invading. When people are attacked for suggesting a 'slave
>> auction' as a fund raiser or using the word 'nazi' in a Seinfeld-esk "soup
>> nazi" connotation, I just sigh.  Are we truly that sensitive and ready to
>> see evil in others?  Does political correctness ever take a break?  If I
>> disagree about the 'periodness' of a certain policy change does that make
>> me fair game for attack?

I am one of the folks who object strenuously to the casual use of Nazi.  I
try to be polite, but I am not going to let anyone call someone a genocidal
racist homophobic monster in "fun" or in any other way, regardless of
intent.  Intent is not magical, and just because it was used on Seinfeld
doesn't make it okay and may not erase the hurt. No, someone who casually
tosses off "FITB-Nazi" isn't evil.  In fact, I'm guessing they're good
people and would like to make sure they're not being hurtful or calling
people horrible things.  And just because something is in the modern
vernacular, that doesn't make it totes okay to use.

You can say my PC meter is busted if you want, but I'm still going to say
something about the use of the word Nazi, unless you're talking about the
German political party/Axis power.  For the piece that changed my mind
about the use of Nazi, you can look here:
http://attack-laurel.livejournal.com/65495.html

Helene Dalassene

--
"Whatever their fond sentiments for men and women in uniform, for most
Americans the war remains an abstraction – a distant and unpleasant series