[Ansteorra] ginger bread

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Feb 10 12:14:37 PST 2013

On Feb 8, 2013, at 10:02 PM, willowdewisp at juno.com wrote:

> I found your information to  be very interesting. I was wondering if you had ever molded it. I am looking for  a gingerbread recipe that makes good scuplture and also taste good.
> Also who am I talking to?
> willow

I didn't see the initial message being referred to above, but here is a file in the FOOD-SWEETS section of the Florilegium with a number of period gingerbread recipes. Depending upon the ratio of breadcrumbs to honey you use, this can be quite moldable. If it isn't, just heat it back up and add more honey or breadcrumbs as needed to get the consistency you need.

This also makes a good, quick recipe for demos or newcomers' meetings.
gingerbread-msg (82K) 10/ 7/10 Medieval gingerbread. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/gingerbread-msg.html

For sculpturing, you might also check into sugar paste or marzipan.
marzipan-msg (111K) 7/25/10 Use of marzipan (almond paste) in sotelties in
both period and the SCA. Working with marzipan.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/marzipan-msg.html

Sugar-Paste-art (20K) 8/23/06 "Sugar Paste: A Cook's 'Play Dough'" by Dame
Alys Katharine, O.L., O.P.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/Sugar-Paste-art.html

sugar-paste-msg (126K) 1/ 9/08 Making sugar paste sotelties.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/sugar-paste-msg.html

Sugarplat-Adv-art (14K) 11/15/05 "Adventures with Sugar Plate" by Count
Gunthar.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/Sugarplat-Adv-art.html

Also, there is this file:
molded-foods-msg (24K) 8/20/07 Period and modern molded foods. Molds.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/molded-foods-msg.html

Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com