[Ansteorra] In re Border-March, "The Babe Shire"

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Mon Feb 18 23:10:50 PST 2013

For the amusement and/or amazement of the realm:

    May it please Your Serene Highness Duke Houghten to receive this
    day a missive from Tessa of the Gardens, Seneschal in
    Border-March, "The Babe Shire" in Ansteorra, dated this eighteenth
    day of June, AS XII, being also the Gregorian year 1977.

So begins the cover letter of a packet that came into my hands.

Some people were sorting and clearing the files of the Kingdom of the
West, and some of the stuff in it was for the SCA, because they tended
to get mingled back then and an unofficial motto of the West is still
"Alia regna? Quid alia regna?" (I probably have the endings wrong for
"Other kingdoms?  What other kingdoms?").

Anyway, they found this packet postmarked 1977 from someone named
Tessa from a group that was thinking about going barony.

The West certainly doesn't need this packet, the SCA no longer needs
it, it looked like Good Stuph, one of the people apparently said "Hey,
I'm going eastward to an event, I know an Ansteorran who's going to be
there, I'll ask him to Do Something appropriate with it".

So that's how I got the packet.  I made copies ... *mumble* years ago
for all love, and set it in a corner and forgot it.  Except now I'm
starting to straighten up in preparation for moving and came across
it.  I am sorry for the delay.

It's quite interesting.

- Cover letter to Duke Houghten; she'd been advised that he was the
  likeliest person to be a good advocate
- Letter to Their Serene Highnesses of the Body Corporate (the BoD),
  introducing the group, summarizing the history so far, listing all
  the events in the past year and every shire participant who attended
  them (!!!), listing the officers (a number that would do credit to
  the kingdom), the guilds (including the Torturer's Guild), and
  census.
- The first 5 issues of the Trumpeter, the shire newsletter.
  Such a mine.  Flipping thru them, I was caught by the rules for
  assassinations at an upcoming event.
- "Armour Made Simply", a short pamphlet by Simonn of Amber called
  Mountain-Gate
- "Everything You Always Wanted to Know about Public Relations..."
  by Tessa of the Gardens
- Schedule of Events for "Blessings of the Shires of BorderMarch & the
  Isles Tourney", Jan. XI, apparently a joint event
- Schedule of Events for "Border Skirmish" (Shire Border-March vs. the
  Barony of Draconia, who had VASTLY helped Tessa and Simonn get
  Border-March started), June XI
- Newspaper clippings from Beaumont Enterprise, Journal, Port Arthur
  News -- multiple articles from some.  SUCH a cute picture:
      Thorinson the Pampered (Trey Jobe) right, smites young Kirkwood
      of Mountain-Gate (Aaron Lee) upon his bleach-bottle helmet.
      [They're maybe 3? 4? and better clothed than me except for
      that helm]
  That Tessa knew her PR.
- Testimonial letters from SCA persons outside Border-March:
  Sir Sean of Ravenswaard
  Robert Galvanyzed, Knight Marshall of Stargate
  Lysbeth Paulsdottir, Mistress of Arts, Barony Stargate
  Lady Elysonne of Arrowwood, Deputy MoA for the Principality of
      Meridies
  John the Plain of [illegible], Stargate
  Master Erasimierz Waspanieski, OL OCB, the Baron Bjornsborg, called
      Grayraven.
      "If Ansteorra has a soul, it is in Bordermarch."
  Lord Andeleon du Axegarth
- Signatures of people who received the Charter and Laws for the
  Principality of Ansteorra, with suggested revisions from the group
- A draft for a charter for the Order of Madonnas in Ansteorra
- Attendance sheets (a checkbox grid) for every person in the group
  for everything from Border Raids on July 23 '76 to May AS XII, for
  Pete's sake!

I'm sending the originals back to Tessa and Simonn.  I'm sending
copies to a number of other people, including the kingdom historian
(Robert Fitzmorgan).

Daniel Lincolnia
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com