[Ansteorra] Why I Joined was ideas was Presentation at Round Table

Susan Tillery sutillery at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 30 12:26:06 PST 2013

My experience is different, but then I am old.

I joined early.  I went to my first event in 1977.  I don't feel like I was
trying to fill a void but rather it was more that I fell in love with the
game.   I could make a persona, dress in the costumes, and go to places with
candle light and the romance of the legends and fairy tales I enjoyed so much
growing up.  But then, there was no online roleplaying, nor LARPs in my day and
it was much more fun for me to dress up and play a part rather that roll dice
and talk about what my little figure was doing.  The game I play now is very
different by necessity.  I am not as young and quick to befriend and join in as
I once was and the game my fellow players play is very different from the one
available then.  Instead, I turn my attention from fighting and dancing and play
to archeological evidence and the recreation of artifacts.  Do I miss the old
days? Yes.  Could I play that way again if there were a venue?  I would like to
try, but it would be difficult. My role would be different and for I am older
and slower.

Something I don't see as much now, (Perhaps because I run in the wrong circles,
more likely because we are a much more family oriented game than we once were
with less extra room in the cars.)  are the carpools and caravans to events we
once did.  Nor the offers and expectation of crash space.  Instead we arrange
group rates at motels which fits the demographic shift from young singles to
more prosperous and established population but makes it harder if we want to
catch and keep said young singles.

AEla