[Ansteorra] ideas... long

Ld.blackmoon ld.blackmoon at cox.net
Wed Jan 30 17:57:48 PST 2013

greetings

I'm sorry, but if anyone starts coming up to me at an event and complaining
that my tunic is the wrong shade of color, or the wrong thread count, etc. I
will be gone for good .
I have already been told that a person " was surprised " to learn that I
have a grant level award and was still wearing sweat pants and old tunics to
events.

but to be honest , I am normally busy helping somewhere , on something ,
from the time I get to an event until I leave ( except for feast, where I
enjoy sitting and relaxing for a bit )
and could never convince myself that spending some of my utility money on
fancy garb for court was a good idea, especially since I'm normally busy
during court anyway . ( I may not have the best garb, but as far as I know ,
sweaty workers are period : )
the way finances have been the last few years , I have had to choose between
keeping my membership current ( and keeping my marshal , officer, and
authorizing marshal status active ) or going to more  events .
I chose to stay current , and keep serving the kingdom , the society, the
missile community and the local group . even though this has meant missing
people and events that I used to attend on a regular basis .
the society rules state that we need to " make an effort " it does not say
we need to " be completely authentic " . so by all means cover the ice
chest, use a mug, leave the phone / laptop, etc. in the car, hang some
banners from your pop up shade pavilion, cover your Coleman camp chairs with
something, but please don't follow the authenticity at any cost path, as I
am certain that will chase off more people than it attracts ...

anyway , I work at events , most every event I go to I at least run around
asking where or how I can help ( normally working gate or marshaling, or
teaching ) in the past 10 years , ( since returning to ansteorra )
I have been a deputy baronial officer for 1.5 terms *,a baronial officer 3
terms , a regional officer 1 term, and a kingdom deputy 2.5 terms .sometimes
, more than one office at a time ,
( *  1 term = 2 years , so in the past 10 years I have held approximately 16
years worth of offices : )
oh and I have sponsored the baronial missile ranges on my property for the
entire 10 years : )  it's what I do , I need to feel useful , so I go and I
work , sometimes I get a thank you , sometimes I go away never knowing if
what I did was even noticed by anyone, but at least I feel like I
accomplished something , and was able to help keep this going for one more
event anyway : /

Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
Arthur
ps, sorry didn't mean for this to become a rant : (