[Ansteorra] ideas was Presentation at Round Table

Bree Flowers evethejust at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 22:07:16 PST 2013

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 11:39 PM, kajira camber <kajiracamber at gmail.com> wrote:
*snip*
> 4-Recognition-As Arthur stated, we all need to make a better effort to
> submit/recognize those that have done the work or improved in the arts or
> what have you.  I have heard through many reigns regarding the lack of
> award recommendations and this is an important piece of being part of a
> volunteer organization.  Heck, look at how much apps and online mini-games
> (i.e. Farmville, Hero World, Bejeweled, Angry Birds, etc)  pull people back
> to keep playing simply based on simple 'electronic' awards/badges!  It
> doesn't even have to be an 'award' from Their Majesties.  A simple thank
> you goes far and it lets them know that their service or skill improvement
> has been recognized by others.

THIS! 100 times this! By all means, write your recognition letters,
but don't rely on that alone to give people the pat on the back you
think they deserve. A lot of us don't get around to writing letters,
or forget who we should be writing about, or heck, some things just
aren't letter-writing-worthy, but they still deserve some recognition.
Like singing a song at a feast that knocks your socks off, or helping
you set up your camp, or just plain old looking awesome! Yeah, doing
those things repeatedly is worthy of letter-writing, but that doesn't
mean you have to save up all your thanks until someone's done it a
bunch of times. Bring a little supply of "cool stuff" with you in your
pouch to hand out to people who do little things that impress you. I
make beads, so I always try to remember to bring some beads along that
I can gift to the feast steward, the kid that brings me water at
feast, the bard, the fighter that dies amusingly, the rapier fighter
with the rapier wit to match, whatever catches my imagination and
really makes it magical that day. Not everyone does beads, so find
something else, some little trinket, wrapped candies, illuminated
bookmarks, a pewter token, a bell, a tassel, a rubber ducky dressed up
like a viking. Or if you don't have the time/financial means for
stuff, SAY SOMETHING, really, words are good too. You don't have to be
landed nobility, or have a shiny crown or a peerage to recognize
people who do awesome things. We can all say "thank you, you made my
day".

~Astridr