[Ansteorra] ideas... long

Michael Peters shdwstel at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 30 18:11:39 PST 2013

'lo all,

 This is one major problem *I* see
 " I don't see as much of the welcoming attitude, the openness and kindness, as I used to in '93.  It's that attitude I miss.
  And
it could be that people are so tired and overworked that the attitude
can't be maintained."

The tired and overworked is *me* (and lots of other folks my age). Try and relax at home or thrash all week to get ready for an event, go and *work* all weekend and back to work on Monday. Not really much of a decision there. This is why I feel we're losing the older crowd.

  However, the main thrust of the discussion is *new* people and we are back to attitude. Welcoming? Sure, "you're new? Oh GREAT! can you come help me carry this? You know if you're new one thing you can do is be a server at feast." Welcoming for another pair of hands yes, any show of interest in the *person* rather than what they can contribute....not so much. I ran into this when I moved to Lochac. No interest in *me* but "Oh, the barony NEEDS an armourer. Welcome."

  We go to events to visit with friends. Sometimes we snub someone new, not out of any desire to be rude, simply because we are focused on catching up with friends  (I am as guilty of this as others). I managed to not make this mistake at last summer's crown. A young fighter was interested in Japanese and I was in the middle of a conversation with friends. I did put him off but made *sure* he understood that I *did* want to talk with him. Hopefully, our chat later that day gave him some useful info.

  Advertising. A good idea but venues not mentioned. YES, there is more to the SCA than heavy weapons but how many heavy fighters weren't into *something* violent/competitive prior? Veterans, martial artists, hockey players are the bulk of the heavy community. Sure there are exceptions (Duke Seamus) but venues for recruiting these folks could be explored.

A few of my thoughts. Feel free to disagree or ignore. Must get back to thrashing for Kingdom A&S.

Regards,
Mykaru