[Ansteorra] ideas... long

Cynthia Teague cmt1708 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 11:05:41 PST 2013

I'm finding this conversation very interesting, and wanted to add my two
cents.  My family and I started playing almost two years ago, and have
really been enjoying ourselves.  I think our early experiences were key to
this.  We were drawn in by the Medieval Fair in Norman, although it took
several years for us to attend our first event.  At that event, we had the
chance to participate in archery and thrown weapons, using loaner gear.  It
was really great to get to *do* something, instead of just watching.  We
liked it a lot and wanted to do it again, and were encouraged to come to
our barony's archery practice.

Our barony has been very welcoming, as have people from other regions.  But
I think the key for us was that we immediately began attending archery
practice almost every week.  We quickly got to know a small group of people
through these practices, and then when we went to larger meetings or
events, we saw familiar, friendly faces.  We also had a place to go and a
purpose at events; the archery community has been very supportive and
welcoming, even though we were not very good and have two young children (9
and 11 now) who want to participate.

I also began attending a weekly unofficial A&S night, where I got to know
quite a few people.  I have been spinning for 20 years, so was able to
offer something to the group as well as learn from them, and that helped me
feel comfortable.

Away from the archery range, events were a little bewildering for us.
People were nice to us, but we felt sort of rootless.  I think it might be
easier for a single person to find a place within the group, but because we
were a family, we kept to ourselves a little, while also looking for a way
to fit in.  It was easier for me, because of the A&S connections I had
made, and because I had attended more populace meetings.  It's tricky
trying to fit a new activity into an established family schedule, but we
wanted to make it work.

Now that we have been playing this long, it's different.  When we go to an
event, we know what to expect, we know where we can help out, and we see a
lot of friends.  But if we hadn't had weekly archery practices, I'm not
sure whether we would have continued.  It's nice to have people be friendly
at an event, but you need a way to fit in, to be a part of the group, and I
think it's what happens outside of the events that makes that possible.  My
kids just spent a Saturday afternoon making coifs, and I know that made
them feel much more a part of the barony -- they've commented several times
on how much they liked being part of the assembly line.

My husband and I are also beginning to pursue combat archery -- again
because of loaner gear.  We were given the chance at a Royal Huntsman
tourney to try a sort of target combat archery, and loved it.  We began to
talk about trying combat archery, but you need a bow, and armor -- what if
we didn't like it?  Then earlier this month we went to a northern regional
fighter practice, where we were provided with loaner gear and lots of
help.  We had a fantastic time, and are now gathering gear, making
crossbows, and getting ready to fight.  But it was the chance to try it out
*without* committing ourselves to the activity that really got us hooked.

I guess my takeaway from this would be:  get new people trying different
activities as soon as possible, so that they can find an anchor point in
the group.  Events are dessert, but the day-to-day activities of the barony
are the main course.  Lots of our activities require specialized equipment
-- having loaner gear at events is very helpful.  So is having a time that
is *not* a tournament when people can try something out.  We've only been
to a couple of events where there has been the opportunity to try heavy
fighting, and I'm not sure I've seen any where newcomers were encouraged to
try rapier (though I am usually at the archery range so maybe I am wrong
and these opportunities are more common).  When I've brought an extra loom
or spindle, I've usually ended up teaching someone.  Maybe if there were
more "hey, you want to try?" moments at events, followed up by information
on local practice/meeting times, more newcomers would find their niche and
stay.

(And as an aside -- I *loved* the live tweeting of the recent Crown
Tourney.  We could not attend that day, but we pulled out knight and
royalty figurines and made a chart of the results and talked about the
fighters we knew and wondered about the ones we didn't.  I hope the
tweeting didn't distract people at the event, but it made the event so much
more real for us here at home -- and made me more eager to attend a Crown
Tourney when we can.)

In service --

Vigdis of Namron