[Ansteorra] Retention, was Ideas and others

Ld.blackmoon ld.blackmoon at cox.net
Thu Jan 31 16:01:34 PST 2013

greetings

for me , I think it's because I know that as long as I'm working as an
officer, a teacher, a marshal , etc. that people are depending on me.
and that first as an aoa, and now as a grant level I have " duties and
responsibilities thereto appertaining " .
 I have duties and responsibilities to the kingdom, the barony , the missile
community , the blade hurlers, the archers, and anyone that may someday want
to try participation in any of those things.
( yes I know that I didn't list the society in that list, but,  I'm not a
peer , I'll never be a peer , and I have never felt  that the society cared
one nit weather I participated or not as long as they got my membership
money : ( . )
and I really try not to let people down if I can help it...

but even more importantly , in the sca I learned that there can be pride in
services well done, even if nobody is watching .  and I learned from a
distant baron and baroness that serving honorably ( even when told it's ok
to go have fun ) can make a person feel like they are important enough to be
trusted by peers of the realm , even though at the time I was a simple aoa ,
they gave me ( their archery champion ) official duties to perform every
time we were at the same events, some times it was as small as " please take
this to " x " , some times it was standing behind them in courts, theirs and
others, sometimes it was as important as escorting the baroness around the
event site to assure her safety, and assist in any way she may need ( pull
the wagon / herald / guard / messenger / etc. ) the point being that I
wasn't just a cardboard cut out that they stood up behind the chairs at
their court twice a year, they made me feel as if I was NEEDED  & USEFUL , I
can not come close to explaining well enough, for others to understand how
that made me feel . especially after spending most of my life dealing with
massive depression, and feelings of worthlessness, although I had always
tried to be of service at events , this baron and baroness made such an
impression on me that to this day , I still search for others that can make
me feel as good , as important, as honorable , as they did for 2 years (
Katrina caused an event cancellation, so I was allowed to remain in their
service for an extra year )
. and if I am physically and financially able I will always be at their
service for the asking  , even though they are no longer " landed " .

but the point is that I work offices, I work events, I work demo's when I
can , etc. , not because I  believe that someday at some far off event some
future crown may possibly someday say
" I think blackmoon may make a good peer some day if we give him another
decade or so " . but because I " know " that somewhere , some time, if I can
just find the right job , and do it well enough , there's a chance I can
feel as needed, as wanted, as important as I did around these two wonderful
people ...
if everyone could make people feel like they made me feel , no one would
ever want to leave an event .....

anyway, I think I started drifting there, but , I guess boiled down, I'm
trying to say , that at one event I found magic , that magic lasted for 2
years , and then it was someone else's turn to experience that magic, to
this day I'm still playing because I want to experience the magic again ...
to feel as if I truly am THE HONORABLE LORD ARTHUR BLACKMOON , instead of
tired old Robert Sloan play acting like someone might actually miss him if
he just walked away ....

yea, I know, I'm still off saving damsels in distress , and tilting at
windmills : /

Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
Arthur