[Ansteorra] Time Period

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Jul 29 16:35:16 PDT 2013

On Jul 29, 2013, at 1:30 PM, Brett Chandler-Finch <naturemakeswell at gmail.com> wrote:

> While there are references as far back as the 14th century to plague
> doctors wearing bird masks. The commonly seen image of the doctor with
> plague mask. Hat. Coat staff etc.  Has been attributed by medical scholars
> to Charles de Lorme  In 1619.

I think I've seen multiple, different illuminations from different manuscripts. I sure thought from much further back. I don't think it was this one image proliferated. I'll keep your search in mind as I look though things. Unfortunately my non-Florilegium materials are not that organized. (Now hush those of you who say that applies to the Florilegium as well…)

>   The costume was designed to keep odors
> out which was the primary thought of disease transmission of the day.
> Germ theory was not developed until the 19th century.

Yes. Well into the 1800s. Read the story of the guy who pushed to clean up the London water system and proved the disease du jour was spread by bad water from one section of wells rather than through 'bad air'.

>  It was also the
> identification of the plague doctor who had to follow strict agreements and
> quarantine regulations.

I haven't heard of this and would like to see more details.

> He was hired by towns and cities to specifically
> care for plague victims.

More details here as well. In England only? Across Europe? When? 14th C? 16th?

> One of the reasons I am building the outfit is that it will provide a
> period foul weather set of clothing.     I am going to be using either wax
> cloth or oil cloth for the outer coat.

That wax or oil cloth would seem to be really bad in the Ansteorra weather in summer! And in Stargate with the humidity???? Since it wouldn't breath as well as being hot! I considered making something like that for foul weather. The chance of becoming a "candle" was a put-off as well. We already recommend that folks wear natural instead of synthetics at camping events because they breath better and don't melt if they catch fire.

It would certainly work for a masquerade ball, though.

I think using wool spun and woven without washing it, so that it keeps the natural lanolin, is probably the best period technique of make period rain gear.

This file in the CLOTHING section of the Florilegium might be of use:
raingear-msg (61K) 2/15/10 Period raingear. waterproofing cloth.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/raingear-msg.html

Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com