[Ansteorra] Question in general

Doug Copley doug.copley at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 14:46:21 PDT 2013

OK, you asked for it, sorry it is so long:-)

IMO, and from my perception, ALL Peers should have done some things in EACH
of the other areas. A person that is hoping to become a Knight should do
more than "swing a stick", they should have done some service and some A&S
work, not that they have to be good at it but that they should have some
experience working and trying to make and organize things. This also goes
for Laurels and Pelicans (think cross training) they should break away from
their primary area and understand what the other areas are like. How can
the be a Peer of the SCA and not have a working knowledge of things outside
their area of expertise?

Service Focus: I think the focus becomes sometimes becomes too much about
Kingdom work that it can have a negative impact on group and regional
support. People think that to get the Kingdom award you need the Crown to
see you doing it. So they only focus on Kingdom events or Local or Regional
IF the Crown is going to be there. All of it is important and I believe
that to be a peer you need to have worked at all levels in order to have a
proper foundation and understanding of how the SCA works.

A&S Focus: Much the same as above. Making things for the Crown can be seen
as more important than making something for locals. It should be about the
craft, knowledge, teaching, and sharing the love of an art form. You do not
have to be a Peer to share an art form. Peers should be helping non-Peers
get to a level in their art for that they can teach it to others, the Peer
can be an assistant teacher if need be. Far too often I have heard it said
that if you want to be a Peer you MUST to travel to all regions of the
Kingdom.

Fighting Focus: Tourneys, tourneys, tourneys. The bigger the better. But,
correct me if I am wrong, didn't many of the Knights in period (excluding
those that were bloodline, bought, gifted, or some other type of thing)
were made for prowess because of what happened on the field of battle? IMO,
prowess on the Lyst Field is only one aspect, fighting and leading in
melees, teaching new fighters, sharing with older fighters, serving as
local and regional officer, helping people getting armored up, being
leaders in the community, understanding and being familiar with all forms
of arms and weapons that may be on the field of battle. No, I am not saying
they need to be an expert at Siege or Combat Archery, but I think they
should at least take the time to go and fire one and understand how they
work and how they can be used, which can all be done in an afternoon.

PLQ Focus: Take the time to work on your kit so that you look more period,
lose the tennis shoes! I realize we cannot get rid of all mundane things,
but we should try to limit it down, Have wooden chairs or cover the camp
chair so that it is not visible. At every event try to meet a new person
and visit for a few minutes, don't just hang with the established crowd.
Some years ago, I bumped in to a lady at GW up near the Green Dragon, she
was sitting in the shade at one of the tables waiting for her husband. I
asked if I could join her and we visited for a few minutes till he showed
up, they had no idea who I was, I was pretty new at the time, yet they sat
and visited for a little bit (maybe 10 or 15 min) with me. Them taking the
time to visit cost them nothing but a little bit of time, but it is
something that I remember. I try to remember that as I see new people that
I was new once as well and a few words and a few minutes can mean a lot!
This was how I met Simon and Tessa:-)

Vincenti
Not a Peer, but hoping to become one someday and in the meantime, enjoying
the journey. For without the journey the end means nothing:-)