[Ansteorra] Questions in general

Kylie kynaterricsdottir at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 20 15:16:03 PDT 2013

Greetings,

I was not planning to respond to master Ainers question, as he and I have had  this conversation a few times. Yet here I am, answering...

Knight- Someone who knows how to fight different styles, and knows how to fight well. But that's just the obvious. I feel that knights need to be more than fighters. They need chivalry. After all, they are called The Order of the Chivalry. Chivalry is defined as the sum of the ideal qualifications of a knight, including courtesy, generosity, valor, and dexterity in arms (dictionary.reference.com/browse/chivalry)
Someone who is courteous to all, young and old. Who talks when needed, and listens when required.
Someone who is generous with his time, energy, voice, and skill.
Someone who has valor on the field, weather it be war, practice, or teaching children.

Pelican- A pelican is someone who performs service. Unfortunately, service is something that is hard to define with in the SCA. From water bearing to setting up the site, retaining for The Royal family to picking up trash at the end of an event, this is all service, but is this enough?  I feel that becoming a pelican is one of the hardest peerages to attain. Much of our service is either done behind the scenes, or is so common place it gets over looked. How many times have we all showed up at an event and the troll, list field, archery field, and everything else is already set up. This is service. A pelican will step up when no one else will. A pelican enjoys serving others in many ways, and bringing others to help.

Laurel- A laurel is someone proficient in the arts and sciences. I see a laurel as much more. I see a laurel as someone who teaches their craft or crafts. Someone who loves to share what they know with those who want to learn. Someone who is not done learning themselves, and can admit to that fact.

PLQs-What are the peer like qualities? Ask any group of people, and you will get that many different answers. I feel that the PLQs are simple. Each of the peerages have many things in common, and these are, to me, PLQs. Knowledge of your chosen field. The desire to share your skill, craft, or knowledge. The understanding that you are never done learning.

This is my answer, thank you for reading.
H.L. Kyna

If you want a shower, I want to see the sweat.