[Ansteorra] Questions in general

HerrDetlef herrdetlef at gmail.com
Sat Jul 20 20:31:47 PDT 2013

This is what Corpora has to say on the subject:

A. Patents of Arms
1. General Requirements:
Candidates for any order conferring a Patent of Arms must meet the
following minimum criteria. Additional requirements may be set by law and
custom of the kingdoms as deemed appropriate and necessary by the Crown.
• They shall have been obedient to the governing documents of the Society
and the laws of the kingdom.
• They shall have consistently shown respect for the Crown of the kingdom.
• They shall have set an example of courteous and noble behavior suitable
to a peer of the realm.
• They shall have demonstrated support for the aims and ideals of the
Society by being as authentic in dress, equipment and behavior as is within
their power.
• They shall have shared their knowledge and skills with others.
• They shall have practiced hospitality according to their means and as
appropriate to the circumstances.
• They shall have made every effort to learn and practice those skills
desirable at and worthy of a civilized court. To this end they should have
some knowledge of a wide range of period forms, including but not limited
to literature, dancing, music, heraldry, and chess, and they should have
some familiarity with combat as practiced in the Society.
• They should participate in Society recreations of several aspects of the
culture of the Middle Ages and Renaissance.
2. Order of Precedence Within the Peerage:
The Crown may establish the order of precedence within the peerage
according to the laws and customs of the kingdom. However, the Chivalry,
the Laurel, and the Pelican are of equal precedence and must be considered
as one group.
3. Departure from the Peerage:
Any member of an order conferring a Patent of Arms may resign from that
order. To leave a Patent Order, the member must send a written resignation
to the Crown, the Principal of the Order (if any), the Principal Herald,
and the Board. The Crown bestows membership in Patent Orders. No
‘interchangeability’ exists from one order to another (as Knight to Master
or Laurel to Pelican), and the acceptance of a person who has so resigned
an order into any other order is solely at the discretion of the Crown
according to the laws and customs of the kingdom.
4. Patent Orders:
The following institutions are established for all kingdoms in the Society.
A Patent of Arms may be conferred only upon a person being admitted into
one of these orders. Each candidate for a patent order must satisfy the
general requirements listed above in A.1., as well as the specific
requirements listed here.
a. The Chivalry: The Chivalry consists of two equal parts: Knighthood and
Mastery of Arms. No one may belong to both parts of the order at one time.
When a member is admitted to the Chivalry by the Sovereign, the choice of
which part of the order to join is made by the new member. The candidate
must be considered the equal of his or her prospective peers with the basic
weapons of tournament combat. To become a Knight, the candidate must swear
fealty to the Crown of his or her kingdom during the knighting ceremony.
Masters of Arms may choose to swear fealty, but are not required to do so.
The duties of the Chivalry are as follows:
• To set an example of courtesy and chivalrous conduct on and off the field
of honor.
• To respect the Crown of the kingdom; to support and uphold the laws of
the kingdom and Corpora.
• To enrich the kingdom by sharing his or her knowledge and skills.
• To support and uphold the Crown of his or her kingdom.
• To enhance the renown and defend the honor of the peer’s Lady or Lord.
• To advise the Crown on the advancement of candidates for the Chivalry.
• To bestow the Accolade of Knighthood upon a candidate for the Order of
Knighthood, as the sole right as Sovereign or acting directly for the
Sovereign, for only a Knight can create a Knight.
b. The Order of the Laurel: Members of the Order of the Laurel may choose
to swear fealty, but are not required to do so. The candidate must have
attained the standard of excellence in skill and/or knowledge equal to that
of his or her prospective peers in some area of the Arts or Sciences. The
candidate must have applied this skill and/or knowledge for the instruction
of members and service to the kingdom to an extent above and beyond that
normally expected of members of the Society.
The duties of the members of the order are as follows:
• To set an example of courtesy and chivalrous conduct.
• To respect the Crown of the kingdom; to support and uphold the laws of
the kingdom and Corpora.
• If in fealty, to support and uphold the Crown of his or her kingdom.
• To enrich the kingdom by sharing his or her knowledge and skills.
• To advise the Crown on the advancement of candidates for the Laurel.
b. The Order of the Pelican: Members of the Order of the Pelican may choose
to swear fealty, but are not required to do so. The candidate must have
attained the standard of service to the Society or any of its branches
equal to that of his or her prospective peers, which is above and beyond
that normally expected of members of the Society.
The duties of the members of the order are as follows:
• To set an example of courtesy and chivalrous conduct.
• To respect the Crown of the kingdom; to support and uphold the Laws of
the kingdom and Corpora.
• If in fealty, to support and uphold the Crown of his or her kingdom.
• To enrich the kingdom by sharing his or her knowledge and skills.
• To advise the Crown on the advancement of candidates for the Pelican.
c. Royal Peerages: The titles assumed by former Crowns and Coronets may
convey Patents of Arms if the laws and customs of the kingdom so provide.
However, in order to receive a patent with the title, the recipient must
meet the general requirements listed for peerage.
d. The Order of the Rose: The Order of the Rose consists of former Royal
Consorts of a kingdom. It is specifically charged with encouraging
chivalrous and courteous behavior among all members of the Society. It may
be non-armigerous, or it may be defined as a Patent Order according to the
laws and customs of the kingdom. In the latter case, the general
requirements for peerage must be met.

These words may not answer all of your questions, but we would be remiss
not to take them into consideration.

Yours in these Current Middle Ages,
Detlef von Marburg, CSM
Zodiacus Herald