[Ansteorra] More things than not only newcomers might not know

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Jul 22 20:59:29 PDT 2013

Erlina said:
<<< Greetings Lord Mithgiladan,
    I have asked questions and have found some of the information you just
provided. I am learning from the officers you provided now that I have kind
of have knowledge on how some things work. Thank you for the information as
I learned additional things that I did not know. >>>

I thought the original question was specifically on what characteristics were looked for in Peers, so I didn't answer. However, it looks like the questions might be more on the line of more general info for newcomers.

Newcomers might also wish to join the SCA-Newcomers list on Yahoo.com

Here are various files that both newcomers and those who have been in the Society for some time might find useful. These are in the NEWCOMERS section of the Florilegium. I encourage all new folks to take a look at this section and perhaps to then look at other sections in the Florilegium. I try to post there a lot of files on a wide variety of SCA and medieval subjects.

Children-SCA-art (10K) 5/ 5/13 "Children in the SCA: An Introduction for Newcomers" by Lady Genoveva von Lübeck.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Children-SCA-art.html

courtesy-msg (32K) 1/19/96 Courtesy guidelines in the SCA and period. Hand-kissing and bowing.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/courtesy-msg.html

crash-space-msg (28K) 1/13/11 'crash-space etiquette' for both the traveler and the crash-space provider.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/crash-space-msg.html

Do-not-Wear-art (13K) 8/19/12 "SCA – What Not To Wear – Belts, Baldrics and Scarves, Oh My!" by Lord Ian the Green.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Do-not-Wear-art.html

Earng-Your-AoA-art (6K) 4/18/02 "Earning your AoA in the SCA" by Lady Meliora Leuedai de Ardescote.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Earng-Your-AoA-art.html

intro-books-msg (36K) 6/ 8/99 Recommended books on the Middle Ages and Renaissance.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/intro-books-msg.html

SCA-Feasts-art (16K) 3/10/12 "Orts It All About, Alfred? - (Attending your first year or two of SCA Feasts)" by Lady Caterina della Pieri.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/SCA-Feasts-art.html

Thrifty-Anach-art (29K) 6/29/10 "The Thrifty Anachronist: The Handbook" by Lady Mathilda Harper. Thrift stores for inexpensive SCA clothing.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Thrifty-Anach-art.html

In the CLOTHING section:
How-2-Fnd-Fab-art (16K) 12/18/11 "How to find Great Historic type Fabric for Garb cheaply, at Thrift Stores." by Lady Catherine Rose FitzEdmunds.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/How-2-Fnd-Fab-art.html

SCA-Upcycling-art (16K) 6/ 3/10 "SCA Upcycling: Costuming on a Budget" by Lady Jeanne-Marie la Verriere.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/SCA-Upcycling-art.html

I hope you find this useful.

Stefan
--------