[Ansteorra] falcons

Susan McMahill sueorintx at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 24 06:25:38 PDT 2013

All raptors are protected under the Migratory Bird Act. Unless you are a licensed rehabilitator, you can be cited for having one, even a rescued one in your possession. The penalties are pretty stiff, so do not try and do it (falconry) yourself, without following all of the regs.

Lyneya

http://www.gpnc.org/raptors1.htm

The precise language in the MBTA states:
“Unless and except as permitted by regulations made as hereinafter provided, it shall    be unlawful at any time, by any means or in any manner, to pursue, hunt, take, capture,    kill, attempt to take, capture, or kill, possess, offer for sale, sell, offer to barter,    barter, offer to purchase, purchase, deliver for shipment, ship, export, import, cause to    be shipped, exported, or imported, deliver for transportation, transport or cause to be    transported, carry or cause to be carried, or receive for shipment, transportation,    carriage, or export, any migratory bird, any part, nest, or egg of any such bird, or any    product, whether or not manufactured, which consists, or is composed in whole or in part,    of any such bird or any part, nest or egg.”

As you can see from the above stated legal language, migratory birds are highly regulated.    While some, such as waterfowl, can be legally hunted and possessed, there is no such    provision for raptors. Eagles, ospreys, hawks, falcons, kites, owls, vultures and all    other native North American birds of prey are strictly protected, to include a prohibition    against the taking or possession of their parts such as feathers or talons. The only    exceptions generally allowed for individuals to these prohibitions require permits from    the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Educational and scientific institutions are exempted    from most permit requirements.

    Penalties for violations of the MBTA can go up to $15,000 and 6 months imprisonment for    common violations. The sale or barter of migratory birds is a felony with penalties up to    $500,000 and 2 years imprisonment. Some raptors, such as the bald eagle, are also    protected under the Endangered Species Act, and both the bald and golden eagles are also    protected under the Eagle Act.

Well-behaved women Seldom make history - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich