[Ansteorra] Gulf Wars / Pennsic

Adrienne Ferrell aferrell at greatambience.com
Tue Mar 19 21:58:48 PDT 2013

Many more people from our kingdom go to Gulf Wars than Pennsic.
If you have been to Pennsic, you may realize how much more we get at
Gulf Wars.
Even though the cabins aren't the Hilton, they have electric and
bathrooms; and it's not a tent that
has to be set up and taken down. There are no cabins at Pennsic.

Very few camps have access to electric at Pennsic. (although, more
merchants have access than GW)
Showers are closer to the camps at GW.  Like GW  many groups put up
their own showers in camp.
It is much easier to dig in MS than PA.

For most of the camps, parking is closer at GW than Pennsic.  Imagine
walking uphill more than twice the distance
from GW's front gate to the back gate to get to your car. Ansteorra is
on the Serengeti, which is a bout 2000 ft to parking.
Those camped a round the lake at Pennsic, have about 4000 feet before
they get to parking. Yeah, that's about 3/4 a mile.

A preregistered week at GW is $67 , at Pennsic it is $115.
Pennsic does not have the fighter support you are used to at GW.
GW has funds set aside for these supplies, I see no evidence of this at
Pennsic.
Each group at Pennsic supplies water, gateraid, pickles, and oranges for
their fighters, as well as water bearers.

Did you enjoy the Known World Party at GW? GW has some funds set aside
for food and decor for that too.
Pennsic parties are sponcered by whatever group is holding them.

Only a portion of your site fee goes to the site owners.  Much of it
goes to running the war, things like tents, printing, radio rentals...

At Gulf Wars, after the fixed cost are paid, the profits are divided.
You may notice your group getting a check from Gulf Wars in the near future.
Groups are sent monies based on volunteer hours.

I enjoy both wars and am a long time veteran of both.   In my opinion,
GW is a better SCA event and a better value.  Both are worth going to.

in service,
Seraphina