[Ansteorra] Of all things wonderful and silly....

David J. Hughes davidjhughes.tx at netzero.com
Mon Mar 25 15:08:06 PDT 2013

On 3/25/2013 1:38 PM, Chris Zakes wrote:
> At 01:07 PM 3/25/2013, you wrote:
>
>> Prootwaddles were included in The Fantasy Trip because the designer
>> of that
>> game, Steve Jackson, is well-acquainted with the real-world version from
>> his time as Vargskol Halfblood, Baron Bryn Gwlad. But the game
>> version is
>> loosely based on the SCA ones -- they came first.
>>
>> Aethelyan Moondragon
>> Ansteorran not-quite-as-fossilized-as-Tivar
>
> To the best of my knowledge, Prootwaddles only ever appeared at two
> events. The first was the Second Barbarian Invitational, 4th of July
> weekend, AS 13 (1978.) During the quest, parties encountered three
> humanoid creatures (called Proot, Wah and Dull) with curious designs
> painted in woad* on their bodies. They were very noisy, aggressive and
> obnoxious, wanting to eat, fight or fornicate with anyone they
> encountered. And no, they weren't very bright.
>
> The second "appearance" was at a Bryn Gwlad event held at Buescher
> State Park. It included a night quest. My group never physically
> encountered the prootwaddles, we just heard them going "Prrrooott!"
> off in the brush. "From ghoulies and ghosties and long-legged
> beasties, and thigs that go prrrooott in the night, good lord deliver
> us."
>
> This was around the time that Steve Jackson/Baron Vargskol was
> developing The Fantasy Trip game, thus they were included. (Kind of
> like Richard Garriot/Shamino/Lord British including various Bryn Gwlad
> folks in the early Ultima games.)
>
>         -Tivar Moondragon
>
> *Did you know that woad is an effective sunblock? The three fellows
> playing the prootwaddles had some *very* interesting sunburns on Monday.

TTTO  "Moonshadow"

I'm being followed by a prootwaddle
Prootwaddle, prootwaddle......

Damn,  that was a lot of years ago.

Memories are a little fuzzy, as prootwaddles tended to appear (if only
by their calls off in the distance) after feast, after sunset, and well
after the bottles had been opened and passed around <Grin>.

David Gallowglass