[Ansteorra] Steppes Warlord XL - armored tournament invitation

Duncan Hepburn duncan at stormypetrel.org
Wed May 15 16:01:49 PDT 2013

Unto the Kingdom of Ansteorra and especially to those who participate in
armored combat. I want to share with you why this Steppes Warlord is so
special.

One of the things I enjoy about being baron is making the connection to the
history and culture of my barony and kingdom. People may think I am being
stuffy when I talk about the history of the Steppes, but our culture is
what makes the SCA stand apart.

Yes, Steppes Warlord is the oldest continuing tournament in Ansteorra,
predating the kingdom. But that is only one part of what makes it special.
Looking back to the beginning, the first Warlord of the Steppes was Richard
of Mont Royal... First knight of the SCA and winner of “THE” first
tournament. Looking at the roster of Steppes Warlords, there are dukes,
counts, viscounts, lions, and heroes of Ansteorra. (Also of note: every
person titled Steppes Warlord since I became baron has returned to warlord
as king.)

Warlord is more than just a tournament, more than a scroll on your wall.
Being Steppes Warlord means your name becomes a part of baronial and
kingdom history, listed alongside such greats as Richard, Jonathan,
Gunthar, Simonn, Mahdi, Inman, Timotheos,... <deep breath>... Hector,
Drake, Mikael, William, Gerard, Sutan, Miguel, Hrafn, Lochlan.... the list
goes on.... 39 names long. Your name could be next. You could be Steppes
Warlord XL.

Some notes about the Steppes’ tournament this year:

- sign up for the tournaments will be at gate. This will speed things up
getting the tournament started

- there will be four tournaments running concurrently, all double
elimination single fight:

-- Steppes Warlord, all may enter

-- once you are out of the main tournament, there is a tournament for those
with heavy fighting awards up to and including Centurion

-- once out of that tournament, there is a tournament for those with heavy
fighting awards up to and including the Sable Talon

-- once out of that tournament, there is a tournament for those with no
armigerous heavy fighting award.

This means that everyone will get a *lot* of fighting in. No one will go
home saying there wasn’t enough blam.

Baroness Genevieve and I invite you all to come and test your mettle in one
of the oldest, largest, and toughest tournaments in Ansteorra. Come and vie
to become part of the LEGACY that is Steppes Warlord.

In service,

Duncan Hepburn

Baron of the Steppes