[Ansteorra] The End of an Age

Thomas gemartt at earthlink.net
Wed May 8 15:29:58 PDT 2013

Greetings all,

As far as I know, the first time Bryn Gwlad enjoyed the land which is now known as Castleton was for Ansteorra’s 45th Queen’s Champion in honor of Queen Larissa.  Don Eule von Haginbald was the steward for this event held July 27-29, 2001.

This property belonged as it does now to Don Shamino Salle Dacil (aka Richard Garriott) who generously made it possible for us to enjoy the beauty of this place.   http://www.swordworks.org/BGWebsites/queens/QCMain.shtml

We have enjoyed many events at this site since then, which included the original Lysts at Castleton, a number of fall baronial events, one coronation combined with a queen’s champion, one investiture and probably a few other events I cannot recall.

Four generations of barons and baronesses have presided over these lands, beginning with my noble parents Baron Pendaran and Baroness Jehanne, then myself followed by my noble children Baron Avery and Baroness Gwenneth, and now my noble grandchildren, Baron Phelim and Baroness Myfanwy.

A number of improvements have been made over the years include the fort, the ship, the watermill with running stream and old bridge, a village of cottages, a lighthouse, a chapel and the theater among others.  About ten years ago, Shamino asked several friends for possible names for this property and I was honored when he chose my suggestion.

At some point, Shamino opened his famous Copper and Silver tavern and it became the center for night life at many Castleton events.  At the fall baronial event of 2007 he was honored with a Sable Thistle in bar-keeping!

Many worthy warriors have contested the field of honor and great champions have been proclaimed. There have been several vigils on this site and a number lords and ladies have been elevated to peerage at Castleton.  There have also been several performances by the Baron’s Men at events, at least two haflas and a number of bardic circles.   The Monks of Castleton also observed the hours here in 2008.  https://webspace.utexas.edu/gem/www/monks.htm

If you have never been to Castleton, I encourage you to see it now.  If you have been here before, this may be one of the last occasions to do so.  This promises to be a glad gathering and good time to share fond stories of these special lands.  Please join us for Queen’s Championship in honor of Queen Gwen on May 10-12, 2013!
http://bryn-gwlad.ansteorra.org/QueensSpring2013/

Myself as Witness,

Thomas of Tenby