[Ansteorra] "Lavatory Self-Portraits in the Flemish Style"

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Sat Oct 26 19:24:54 PDT 2013

"While in the lavatory on a domestic flight in March 2010, I
spontaneously put a tissue paper toilet cover seat cover over my head
and took a picture in the mirror using my cellphone. The image evoked
15th-century Flemish portraiture. I decided to add more images made in
this mode and planned to take advantage of a long-haul flight from San
Francisco to Auckland, guessing that there were likely to be long
periods of time when no one was using the lavatory on the 14-hour
flight. I made several forays to the bathroom from my aisle seat, and
by the time we landed I had a large group of new photographs entitled
Lavatory Self-Portraits in the Flemish Style. I was wearing a thin
black scarf that I sometimes hung up on the wall behind me to create
the deep black ground that is typical of these portraits. There is no
special illumination in use other than the lavatory's own lights and
all the images are shot hand-held with the camera phone. At the
Dunedin Public Art gallery, the photos were framed in faux-historical
frames and hung on a deep red wall reminiscent of the painting
galleries in museums like the Metropolitan Museum of Art."

http://www.ninakatchadourian.com/photography/sa-flemish.php

My admittedly uneddicated eye says that these are REALLY WELL DONE,
and really funny, often due to the photographer's facial skills.
Bored Person With A Ruff (my title for the one with the paper towels)
is magnifique.  I lost it at the first one with the inflatable neck
cushion.

As lagniappe, a Halloween costume of Rubens' "Saint Sebastian" (1614).

http://www.neatorama.com/2013/10/25/Art-Costumes/

I looked at the other paintings, but I don't think that any were
anywhere near as good as this.

Danielis de Lindocollino
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com