[Ansteorra] Youth Combat in Ansteorra

Germanicus de Atlan ldgermanicus at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 27 18:03:21 PDT 2013

For
all our Ansteorra families who are already enjoying Boffer and Rapier Youth
Combator would like to know more, I wanted to provide a quick “State of the
Union” update with the latest!

First
of all for Youth Rapier fighters, our Kingdom Deputy Youth Rapier Marshal
Rixende is making our dreams come true and gathering some great people to build
her Marshallate team.  She can be
contacted at rixende at gmail dot com, and now thanks to Rix and her leaders, a
long overdue activity for our young people is now exploding with newcomers.

For
Boffer Combat we currently have 2 Regional Marshals, Lady Alexandra in the
Central Region and Centurion Thorvald in the Northern Region, and we are searching
for another to help us cover the Southern Region.  A Regional Marshal can authorize new Marshals
for your local group, which in turn can bring in many new families.  Being a Marshal is really easy, and we now
have an amazing group with exciting ideas willing to work with newcomers.  We’d love to help your area grow, so please
get in touch and ask all the questions you wish!

Lord
Callidus, the Society Youth Combat Earl Marshal, let us know the final approval
vote from the SCA B.o.D. is pending on the new Boffer rules.  For now, the current rules in the Complete
Participants’ Handbook on page 31 (on the Ansteorra website) are the ones we go
by, and there will be very few differences.
Alex did a side-by-side comparison chart (thank you!) and the biggest
difference is that 1” rattan will replace PVC due to breakage issues they were
seeing especially in the colder Northern climates.

Another
problem solved!  We can now print our
authorization cards online almost immediately.
IMPORTANT FOR PARENTS:   When you
and your local Youth Combat Marshal fill out your son’s or daughters’
authorization paperwork, you MUST have a separate email address for the new
fighter.  All authorization cards are
tied to that person’s email, so if you put your own email address down for your
young warriors’ card, guess what happens when you try to download and print
theirs?   We fully understand that a lot
of our younger children do not have their own email yet so what we suggest to
parents is to get one from Google, etc. that you use solely for retrieving your
child’s new authorization card.  There
are still a few challenges left RE: Marshals’ cards, but the team is working
furiously behind the scenes to get everything running smoothly.  A BIG “Huzzah!” for them!

Finally
a BIG event for Youth Combat will be War of the Rams (B.A.M.) in 4 weeks, and
the schedule for our Youth Combat fighters is packed with action so be sure to
see the updated info at the Bordermarch website.

 As
always, let me know how I can help you in any way, and be sure to stop by and say
“Greetings!” at War of the Rams.

At
your service,

Germanicus

Kingdom
Deputy Earl Marshal for Youth Combat (Boffer)