[Ansteorra] [SCA-AS] period shoe polish

Jonathan E. Feistein jonathan at sc2.com
Sun Oct 20 02:46:49 PDT 2013

Okay, I'll take a stab at this and others can shoot me down where I'm
mistaken.

>From what I have been able to  learn, before the invention of modern shoe
polishes, meant to restore shine and color to the leather, there were
various waxes and tallow mixtures used on footwear, although their main use
was to soften and make waterproof.

Our old friend, Wikipedia (which like any encyclopedia is a good place to
start but not the end-all of authority by any means) mentions "dubbin," a
mixture of wax, oil, soda ash and tallow, as having been used since medieval
times, though Merriam-Webster does not document the use of that word until
1781 when various blacking polishes were already in fashion. I did not look
too hard but since the word comes from the verb "to dub" which goes back in
various forms to Old English and Old French, it is likely that it existed in
some form or other (the word, if not that particular mixture) as long as
anyone dubbed leather.

I would speculate that any leather worker had his own private dubbin mix,
but what I do not find in a plethora of articles on shoe design and
construction is any mention of how they were cared for.

I also came across an undocumented article that mentioned polishing shoes
with Olive Oil and citrus juice, though I am not sure I'd seriously
recommend it. Olive oil can go rancid and as for fruit juice, well, wouldn't
the acid cause the leather to wear out sooner? Okay, I'm just guessing
there. Honestly, I don't know if Olive oil and citrus (lemon? pomello?
citron?)  would work well.

Yosef Alaric

StefanliRous at austin.rr.com