[Ansteorra] Newest Peers

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Tue Sep 24 07:26:20 PDT 2013

On Tue, 24 Sep 2013, Ron <eirik at hot.rr.com> wrote:
> Tim McDaniel <tmcd at panix.com>
> > On Mon, 23 Sep 2013, Sweet, Debby <deborah.s.sweet at okstate.edu>
> > wrote:
> > > [Earl Dafydd Whitacre was inducted into the Order of the Pelican;
> > > Angus Gunn was inducted into the Order of the Chivalry]
> > >
> > > And in the addendum court, Master Etienne was banished from the
> > > Crown's presence, starting today until the end of their reign.
> >
> > Wonderful!  All of them were well-deserved!
>
> And here I thought you respected Master Etienne. I am surprised that
> you thought his banishment was well deserved.
> [there was a ":-)" here, but I always consider that to be line noise
> or something]

I'm astonished [1] that you think his banishment was not!
I mean, it's *Etienne*, after all!  I have heard strong rumors of a
connection with the fate of King Lochlann I of blessed memory.

Danielis de Lincolino

[1] As for "surprised" versus "astonished", there is a joke that
Mrs. Webster walked on Mr. Noah Webster (of dictionary fame) kissing
the housemaid.

"Mr. Webster!  I am surprised!"

"No, my dear.  WE are surprised.  YOU are astonished."

Unfortunately for the joke, only the first definition of "surprise"
tends to be "take or catch unawares" or "To attack or capture suddenly
and without warning.".  In general use, as you know, "surprise",
"astonish", "astound", and "amaze" are close to synonyms except for
degree.

Nevertheless, after hearing the joke, I try to distinguish them.

Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com