[Ansteorra] Born on the List Field

Paul DeLisle via Ansteorra ansteorra at lists.ansteorra.org
Mon Aug 11 18:52:37 PDT 2014

From: cpemilyg at gmail.com [mailto:cpemilyg at gmail.com] On Behalf Of Emily Guendelsberger
Sent: Sunday, August 10, 2014 7:27 PM
To: ferretpd at gmail.com <mailto:ferretpd at gmail.com>

Subject: Born on the List Field

Hi, I'm a reporter from Philadelphia City Paper; I'm working on a long piece about the SCA and Pennsic. I just got back from Cooper's Lake, and I'm kind of in love with the stories I heard about the song Born on the List Field, and it maybe being something of a musicology experiment. I stopped by Ansteorra to see if anyone knew how I could get in touch with Ivar Battleskald, but the gentleman I spoke with said that he hadn't been around for 20 years. So I'm doing some internet poking around, and it looks like you might know how to get in touch with him. Do you?

thanks,

Emily Guendelsberger
Senior staff writer, Philadelphia City Paper <http://citypaper.net/emilyg>

30 S. 15th St., 14th floor

Philadelphia, PA 19102

my office line: 215-825-2492

Twitter: @emilygee <https://twitter.com/emilygee>

Things I've written lately <http://citypaper.net/emilyg/>

Wow….I’m either terribly impressed with your sleuthing skills… or terribly flattered that anyone still remembers my name to give to you!

I met Ivar a few times…back in the Olde Days (the early 80’s)…I learned that song from him….and (since I’m a story-teller, among other things) I have probably told the tale of how he wrote that song, more than most.

Unfortunately….we were never terribly close…and I have *absolutely* no idea of how to get hold of him.

I *can* confirm that he *was* interested in how the piece might change by being taught in the traditional manner (i.e. word-of-mouth.)

In fact….I know that *I* have “smoothed out” a couple of rough rhymes and scansions, in my own performances; and I have heard the piece performed to wildly different tunes than I was taught.

Your best bet would be to write to the Ansteorran mailing list:

Kingdom of Ansteorra - SCA, Inc. ansteorra at lists.ansteorra.org <mailto:ansteorra at lists.ansteorra.org>

…and…just to keep the numbers right…it would be more like *thirty* years’ since he was active in the SCA. :)

Good luck, and Be Well!

Paul DeLisle

(once known in these Current Middle Ages as Alden Pharamond)

(P.S. I have copied the Ansteorran List on this e-mail ….anyone desiring to assist this gentle lady may contact me, or her directly.)