[Ansteorra] An answer to the population problem

via Ansteorra ansteorra at lists.ansteorra.org
Tue Aug 19 10:37:48 PDT 2014

Ok. On a more serious note. (I still want a cookie.)

Prices on gas, site fees, feast fees, other food, and generally everything else (let's just say it here - this is a volunteer organization - we can't expect a lot of people to be throwing money they don't have away on expensive trips for a weekend or on expensive stuff to wear, etc.) are going to affect EVERYTHING we do. Here's an example - after looking for work in my field for going on 5 years, I finally got a job. That job is 36.1 miles from my house (one way trip). I had to buy a new car because the old one was not going to make the trip for long. I bought another SUV because of the SCA and the need to carry a lot of stuff to the events. OK. So now I have a car payment that needs to be paid. If I thought I had little extra money before - well you can see the dilemma. I have had to cut down on the events and activities I go to. I don't do a lot of the stuff I was doing when gas was a lot cheaper. I just don't have the money for it. I'm sure others are feeling the same pinch as me.

There has to be a happy medium somewhere. But I don't know where it is.

This is also going to affect how many new members we attract. The other thing we have to keep in mind is that if we are attracting fewer active members to the events, we are going to attract fewer new members. Those who have shown an interest will be disinclined to go if their friends who are established can't go. And people going to their first activity ever are going to feel the same. It's just human nature. We want to gather with people we know. So fewer established members means fewer newcomers.

I think it's also important to point out, that while I agree with you, Ian, in that this is a volunteer organization and we can't expect everyone to have the time to volunteer, if we are more precise in our job descriptions for the different positions, we may find someone who has the skills who hasn't volunteered. That uses good management of the groups and good leadership qualities.

Lady Maria
Gate's Edge