[Ansteorra] Winter Crown Results?

Jay Rudin rudin at peoplepc.com
Sun Jan 12 21:06:20 PST 2014

>I sincerely hope not.  I hate, loathe and despise Facebook.

I understand and sympathize. I remember, in the nineties, feeling a bit shocked when it became clear that email was necessary for an SCA officer, and nearly necessary for active SCA participation at all. I mean - Yuck. Why is a computer necessary to wear costumes and hold feasts and tourneys?

I remember in the seventies, when people were still arguing that a telephone was not necessary for an officer, since everything official is supposed to be in writing anyway.

And yes, today it is extremely useful to be on Facebook. I discovered this about three years ago, when my wife set up a Facebook account for me.

It's not necessary. But it is certainly true that a lot of SCA communication happens there, and this weekend the results of Crown tourney were available on Facebook a day before they appeared on this list.

[Results? More than that - I followed the tourney starting in the first round.]

It's not needed, and it's not official. The Ansteorra Facebook page and this list are equally unofficial. They carry only the information somebody chooses to put on there. You certainly don't have to be on Facebook.

But that was where the information I wanted was.

I suspect that five years from now there will be another new avenue of information being used - one none of us suspect. People will use it because it will be convenient - like Facebook, like email, like telephones.

I'm not saying it's good. I'm not saying it's bad.

I'm saying it's true.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin