[Ansteorra] Congratulations to our new heirs, Their Royal Highnesses, Prince Sven and Princess Antigone

HerrDetlef herrdetlef at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 07:00:14 PST 2014

>From the standpoint of the establishment that actually conducts the
Coronation ceremony (the Church of England, the only non-CoE clergyman
participating being the Moderator of the General Assembly of the Church of
Scotland, who presented the Bible to Her Majesty), Her Majesty technically
WAS crowned Queen of England in 1953. She is England's Queen, as much as
she is Scotland's Queen, Northern Ireland's Queen, Wales' Queen, Canada's
Queen, Australia's Queen...

For what it's worth, I attribute the fourth VIVAT to overflowing
enthusiasm. But which precedent is stronger--period precedent, or SCA usage
precedent? (PLEASE say the former!)

The stress should be on the first syllable, and not the last (VI-vat, not
vi-VAT). In even medieval Latin, the primary stress is placed on the final
syllable only in monosyllabic words.

Detlef

     non omne quod nitet aurum est