[Ansteorra] Unofficial communications

Jay Rudin rudin at peoplepc.com
Mon Jan 13 10:14:53 PST 2014

It's worth remembering that the SCA isn't a business putting on a show for us, contractually obligated to do things for us. It's just us, putting on a show right here in the barn.

The kingdom is required to report officially - once a month, via the newsletter. If you want other information, go get it.

Facebook worked for learning who won Crown, not because any officer had the responsibility for reporting it on Saturday, but simply because some people chose to put it out there, voluntarily.

The email list worked too, also unofficially. As soon as somebody asked the question, somebody else answered it.

Back in the 1980s, I remember arranging in advance for somebody to call with the news. Long distance calls were much more expensive then. I once got the news by refusing to accept a collect call:

Operator: Will you accept a collect call for Victor Inman?
Me: No - there's nobody here by that name.

But now I knew that Inman won Crown.

The SCA runs on individual initiative. If you want information, take the initiative, and contact somebody who has it.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin