[Ansteorra] Steppes Warlord

Emma Haldan via Ansteorra ansteorra at lists.ansteorra.org
Wed May 21 19:55:41 PDT 2014

None of us have been able to get on the lists for the last week or so. Apologies.

Final
Warlord 2014 Event Schedule

~ Please Remember,
the Schedule is subject to frequent change, due to the nature of the event.
There will be announcement heraldry, and a bulletin board in the Hall. Schedule
changes will be announced in Morning Courts. ~

23
May 2014 – Friday
5 PM – Gate Opens
5:00 to 8 PM – Hall
Set up for Merchants and Artisans
1 AM – Gate Closes

24
May 2014 – Saturday

7 AM Gate Opens
Wake
up Cry
8 AM Longship
Tavern begins serving breakfast
Great
Officers of State Meeting in the Hall
Heavy
Armor Inspection Begins at the List Field
List
sign up opens at the List Field
9 AM, or at TRMs
discretion, Morning Court in the Hall
After Morning
Court, Embroidery Contest begins, ends Noon Sunday
30 Minutes after
the end of Morning Court
Armor
inspection closes, tournament begins
Archery
sign up begins at Archery List
Youth
Combat begins
o   Boffer
inspections and authorizations
o   Pickups
and Practice until lunch break at 1 PM
10:00 AM Children’s
Activities begin in the Hall, ends at Noon
10:30 AM – Longship
Tavern closes (might close earlier or later, depending on supplies)
10:30 – 11:00  AM  Archery begins
11:00 AM Artisans’
Enclave begins in the Hall
11:30 Artisans’
Enclave Class on how to photograph your A&S materials
SATURDAY AFTERNOON
– William Tell Archery Tournament takes place, exact time to be determined by
the day’s events. Listen for the heralds, and check the bulletin board in the
Hall.
12:30 – Landed
Lunch
1:00 PM – Gate
Closes
            Page School discussion in the Hall,
ends at 2:00 PM
1:30 PM – Baric
Championship Preliminary rounds begin, ends 3:30 PM
2:00 PM – Junior
Warlord Tournament begins
o   After
tournament, melee, fun, games, and surprises
Minister
of Children Meet and Greet in the Hall, ends at 3:00 PM
3:00 PM – Minister
of Children Warranting class, in the Hall
6:00 PM Centurion
Circle Meets
Artisans’
Enclave closes
7:30 PM, or at TRMs
discretion, Evening Court
·         The
time of evening court is subject to change, listen for the heralds, and check
the bulletin board in the Hall
30 Minutes after
Court, Final Rounds of the Bardic Competition begins
10:00 PM – Hall
Closes

25
May 2014 Sunday

7 AM Baroness’s
Folly Archery Shoot begins
7 AM Gate Opens
7:30  AM Wake Up Cry
8:00 AM Longship
Tavern begins serving breakfast
Rapier
inspection and list sign up begins
9:30 AM or at TRMs
discretion, Morning Court
30 Minutes after the
close of morning court Rapier tournament begins
Thrown
Weapons Championship begins
Youth
Rapier begins
o   Practice,
pickups, and authorization for future tournaments
10:30 AM Longship
Tavern closes (may close earlier or later depending on supplies)
SUNDAY AFTERNOON
Newcomers Heavy
Tournament: for fighters authorized less than a year, who haven’t won a
tournament, or received any fighting awards.
1:00 PM Gate Closes
3:00 PM Merchants
Close
9:00 PM Hall Closes

~30 Minutes After
the Rapier Tournament Ends, or at TRMs discretion, Evening Court begins~

26
May 2014 Monday
10:00 AM Site
Closes
12:30 PM Load in at
the storage unit. Please show up and help stow the gear we’ve been using         all weekend:  2551 Kelly Blvd, Carrollton

What Else is Happening At Warlord?

The Steppes Warlord Tournament on Saturday, and the
Steppes Rapier Championship on Sunday are not the only things on tap at Warlord
XLI!

Archery
~ Saturday and Sunday

Please remember
to bring gloves and wear long sleeves. The bow string can leave a nasty kiss,
and it best for you to protect your fingers.

The competition
will start with the ever so fun novice competition, with a Royal Round. Then
after lunch we will determine the next Steppes Archer, followed by a William
Tell competition.

Sunday will be
our Youth competition, followed by an afternoon of free shooting. Please take note
that children must be accompanied by an adult/parent/guardian at all times
while on the field. This does mean someone over the age of 18.
Our Schedule will be as follows:
Sat-
09:30-10:00 Equipment Inspection
10:00-12:00 – Archery Begins. Novice Competition and Royal Rounds
Loaner Gear will be provided for this competition.
1:00pm- 3:00pm– Steppes Archer Begins
No Loaner Gear Available. Must have own gear.
3:00-4:00- William Tell Competition.
Open to all
Sun-
07:00 -08:00 Baroness’s Folly
No loaner gear available.
10:00- 12:00 Youth Archery Competition
Loaner gear will be made available.
Artisan’s
Enclave ~ Saturday from 11 am to 6 pm

A place to chat
and create, learn and teach, keep or get cool, and perhaps have a cool drink
and a light snack. It’s a potluck sideboard, so bring your chair, something to
work on, and your cup. Mistress Xene will have her spinning wheel, and there
will be spindles and other good things to play with with. We also have four
great learning opportunities:

Sir
Domingo’s camp kitchen and cooking ~ Outside
            Come learn Medieval camp cookery from
a genuine Master!

How to Photograph Your A&S Items ~ Madelena de
Orozco (Jennifer Ytarte)
You've spent hours of TLC on your project; let’s
look at how to take photos that will show your piece in the best possible
light. Learn how to take professional photos of your projects, on the cheap.
AKA how can I get my point and shoot to do that?! Check out this hour-long
class where we will tackle taking professional looking photos on a drawstring
budget.
We will go through terminology first, but then go
through tips to make the best use of light, camera settings and ambiance. This
class is for those who own a cell phone or point and shoot camera and want to
make it work in their favor.  (Don't
knock it, ‘til you try it! Most cell phone cameras nowadays have more than
enough pixels to print a full page photo!)
After the class I will have my DSLR and lights set
up to take high res professional photos, for a $5 per image charge.
Viking Box Class ~ HL Haraldr
Bassi
Students can make and take a
Viking style trapezoidal "six board" box in pine or cedar for $30 or
$45 respectively for materials. Students should expect to spend circa 8 hours
or more working on a box using only the tools we know the Vikings had
available. We will start Saturday morning and I plan to be on the road sometime
Sunday afternoon.
Knife Making Classes ~ Red Dog
Forge ~ Outside
Bardic
Championship

There will be 3 rounds. The first will be held
Saturday from 1:30 - 3:30 and will simply require the competitor to perform one
piece for myself and another judge (plus whoever wants to join us).

From this, a certain number (6-10, depending on number
of entrants) will be chosen to perform in the second round. The second round's
format will be more traditional for the Steppes. After Saturday's evening
Court, we will hold a bardic circle, hosted by Her Excellency.

The chosen competitors will perform another piece for
the judges and Her Excellency. Her Excellency will choose 3 competitors to
advance to the finals, which be held immediately after.

The final round's format will be the same as the
second. Her Excellency will then choose her first Bard from the 3 finalists.
Once the competition has concluded, the circle will be open and all are invited
to perform.

All performers should prepare three pieces. Her
Excellency is not a fan of Her own tears unless they are from laughter or joy.
All competitors should take this into consideration when choosing their pieces.
Pieces with documentation will be looked upon favorably.

Competitors should have at least two different
performance styles (story, song, poem). Finally, and most importantly, Her
Excellency enjoys pieces with a moral. Think fairy tales. Again, documentable
pieces fitting this theme will be looked upon favorably.

Centurion Circle
            6:00 PM Saturday ~ in the Hall

Charter Painting ~ in
the Hall
            By Artisan’s Enclave

Children’s Activities ~
Saturday 10:00 AM to Noon, in the Hall

Embroidery
Contest ~ Sponsored by Mistress Kalida
            Saturday to Noon on Sunday

The On-Site Embroidery Competition will begin right
after Saturday morning court and end at noon on Sunday. Come to the Hall and
find Mistress Kalida in the Pegasus Pottery booth to register and to pick up
all materials to compete. The theme will be announced in court and will be
available at registration.

Food
~
Ansteorran
Longship Tavern ~ Breakfast Saturday and Sunday from 8 to 11, or to the end of
the supplies ~ Outside

Great
Officers of State Meeting ~ Saturday, 8:00 AM ~ in the Hall

Herald’s Consulting
Table ~ in the Hall

Merchants
~ Saturday to 3 pm Sunday

All the
Trimmings
            Trim, Cloak, Clasps, Buttons

Ansteorran
Longship Company ~
            Breakfast tavern, amazing omelets! ~
Outside

The Basket Man
Beautiful,
handmade baskets ~ Hall

Bella’s Braids
            Hair Braiding ~ Hall

Brute Force
& Ignorance Ironwerks ~ Outside
            Handmade iron work and on-site armor
repair

Darkwood Armory
            Armor, swords, Rapiers, etc. ~ Hall

Elizabeth Van
Meter ~ Outside
            Jewelry, embroidery frames

Estoile Designs
~ Hall

Full Bloom
Studios ~ Hall
            Professional photographs of your
A&S items, and treasures

Iron Cross
Tailoring ~ Hall

Noble Costumes ~
Hall
            Garb, hats, totebags, etc.

North Star
Armory ~ Hall
            Reproduction jewelry, armor,
accessories

Pegasus Pottery
~ Hall
            Handmade ceramics

Puss N Boots
Emporium ~ Hall
            Clothing, trinkets, and more

Raven Boy Music /
Classical Cat ~ Hall
            CDs, music

Red Dog Forge ~
Outside
            Custom Knives (also teaching
classes) ~ Outside

Roamin’ Trader ~
Outside
            Feast gear, jewelry, leather goods,
horn cups

Saqra’s
Specialties
            Jewelry, woven belts

Three Pines
Supply

TLC Leathercraft
~ Hall

Minister
of Children Meetings ~ Saturday
            Meet and Greet in the Hall ~ 2:00 PM
            Warranting class in the Hall ~ 3:00
PM

                        New Fighter’s Tournament
~  Sunday
            A tournament for fighters who have
been authorized for less than a year, and who haven’t            won a tournament, and who haven’t won any fighting awards.

Scriptorium ~ in the
Hall

Thrown
Weapons Championship ~ Sunday

Youth
Combat Events ~ Saturday and Sunday

Archery ~
Sunday, 10:00 am to 12:00 PM, loaner gear available. Minor must be accompanied
by adult.

Heavy Boffer ~ Saturday,
30 minutes after Court
            Boffer inspections and
authorizations,Pickups and practices until lunch break
Premier Steppes Junior
Warlord Tournament ~ 2:00 PM
After the Junior
Warlord Tournament, melee, fun, games, surprises!

Youth Rapier ~
Sunday
            Practice, pickups, and
authorizations for future tournaments