[Ansteorra] Obscure Name question

C. L. Ward gunnora at vikinganswerlady.org
Thu Dec 22 08:14:58 PST 2016

>Does anyone have a good name generator (or the ability
>and interest to build one), where you type in a given
>name and it will generate a list of the equivalent of
>that name in differnt languages?

Susan, only a fairly limited subsets of names have true equivalents culture
to culture.  Most cultures have their own, unique stock of names and rules
for how names are given and understood.  I think the names which most
commonly appear cross-culturally may be Biblical names.

Neighboring cultures do sometimes borrow names (and other words) from one
another, of course -- there are, for example, several names in Sweden and
Scandinavia that originated in Continental Germany, and lots of loan-words
as well.

::GUNNORA::

(For sure most Viking names don't translate culture-to-culture...)