[Ansteorra] Bryn Gwlad Candlemans Tournament of Honor- 22 Too Many

Helene Dalassene via Ansteorra ansteorra at lists.ansteorra.org
Thu Jan 28 05:55:44 PST 2016

Please let me know if this is enough information or if you need more.

Greetings from Her Excellency, Helene Dalassene, Baroness of Bryn Gwlad,
and Lady of Hellsgate, mundanely known as Army Staff Sgt. Jennifer D.
Atkinson, on behalf of herself and Centurion Ioannes Dalassenos, known by
others as Army Staff Sgt. John M. Atkinson.

As the sun returns to light our skies and we turn our attention to fun and
learning at our Candlemas event, held Feb. 6, A.S.L, I ask you to take a
moment to contribute to a cause worthy and dear.

This year, Ioannes and I are sponsoring a charity Tournament of Honor to
benefit the charity 22 Too Many and the families of veterans who have taken
their own lives. From the 22 Too Many website:

"Their pictures on our backs - Their names in our hearts”

Approximately 22 veterans a day take their own lives, a report
<http://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressrelease.cfm?id=2427> released in 2012
by the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) shows.

 There are a number of reasons for this startling statistic, among them:
post-traumatic stress (PTS), the effects of traumatic brain injury (TBI),
and the negative stigma in the military community around seeking help.

Veterans are not the only suffering. The families are left suffering from
complicated grief long after the loss of a loved one.

 22 Too Many is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that cares deeply and
passionately about our nations veterans and their families. Through
athletic events, we seek to serve as a living memorial, reduce the stigma
by increasing public knowledge and awareness of PTS, share helpful
resources, and provide support and comfort to the grieving families left
behind.

Our goal is to see 22 reduced to 0.

The veteran we will be honoring on the heavy field is Spc. Michael Kissell,
a chaplain's assistant stationed at Ft. Hood. He and the chaplain he served
both committed suicide.

You can read Michael's story here:
https://www.facebook.com/22TooMany/photos/a.587390591271484.1073741833.585478254796051/972245486119324/?type=3&theater

We know people will bring armor, to test themselves against each other, and
in that light we ask a favor. If you are planning to fight, we ask you to
bring your best fight, your best prize to contribute to the basket, a small
monetary donation, and your best as a member of this wonderful society to
help us honor a veteran who slipped the surly bonds of earth when he could
no longer bear pain and suffering.
To keep in spirit with the charity, we will ask that each combatant salute
Michael's picture, as he or she would the Crown, and their inspiration. We
will award the winner a scroll, and he or she will be the guardian of
Michael's honor.

Please spread the word and consider fighting in this tourney to honor
Michael and all the others who are gone.

Thank you so much for your participation and your contributions. We are
grateful.

--
In service to Country and Crown I remain,
Helene Dalassene