[Ansteorra] Sincere thanks

Zubeydah zubeydah at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 07:12:11 PDT 2021

(Cross posted from social media)

To Ansteorra and Her Firstborn, Vindheim, with full heart, I greet you.

I am still reeling and walking on air from the events of last Saturday. While I offered brief if heartfelt acknowledgement, further words are entirely necessary.  Please forgive any inadvertent and unintentional absences from this missive - I appreciate each and every one of the many contributions even if I was too dazed in the whirlwind of the day to realize them at the time. Please reach out and let me know so that I can correct and amend this list!

My path, my service, my joy, all stems from the unconditional support and encouragement of the love of my life, Abe. (The "Odin-looking Dude") He is the firm foundation that lifts me up and empowers me to do all that I do.   He went to tremendous effort negotiating with his employer and team to be there, up until 5 minutes before we headed out the door, and it meant the world.

The trust and faith of Their Majesties, Jason and Marguerita, humbles me.  My oath is yours. The support and belief in me by the Pelican Circle profoundly touches me to my core; I will work hard to continue to be worthy of it.

Appreciation and acknowledgement must be proffered to Their Excellencies of Eldern Hills, Gassion and Delesse, who saw a small, simple gathering metamorphize a 400 participant extravaganza, and to the Event Stewards - Fionn, Adria, and Delesse - who rolled with the additions and made it seamlessly smooth.

To Mistress Myfanwy and her merry band of helpers (Mistress Beatrix, Mistress Adria and Mistress Adena) who put together a vigil site before I was able to dazedly stumble from court to my pavilion - you created a gracious space that allowed me to feel entirely at home and cherished and surrounded by meaningful parts of my SCA life.  To Mistress Zahira and Mistress Seuilla for coming so that I would have the support of family, for sharing your insights and help to make that vigil perfect, and for manning the vigil book all day - thank you!  To Master Elric and his beloved, Honorable Lady Dominique, who instantly rearranged his vigil sideboard support plans so that I could step away - thank you for your graciousness!  Later in the day, after all was done, there was a veritable army of folks who showed up with many hands to make light work of tear down and packing up my vehicle. Bless you, bless you, bless you.

Several people traveled hundreds, and in some cases thousands of miles, from four different kingdoms and across the breadth and depth of ours, to be there to give me their love made tangible and their unwavering support:  Kale, Zahira, Seuilla, Mordrake, Nathaniel ... Ivarr, Jan, Alisandre and so many others. Thank you, Mooneschadowe and Northkeep, for appearing en mass!  To Duchess Slaine of the Outlands (whose Cipher I proudly bear) who sent a missive from those distant lands - your letter touched me deeply and I will treasure it.

Generosity and kindness abounded - I was honored with the labor of many hands and hearts which were on display during the Vigil.  Mistress Zahira crafted the pelican necklace with so many meaningful elements that I was presented with in court, with two others of loving significance gifted during the day by Mistress Myfanwy and Viscountess Violet. Mistress Adalia made a Viking apron that was purposefully durable - not something delicate that had to be put away on a shelf, but instead, was lovely and strong and capable of standing up to work - a model for the Peer I will strive to be.  Lady Kale ventured into new territory, making and embroidering a Viking cap of maintenance with assistance and guidance from Baroness Aline Swynbrook. Vladislav Pasha commissioned an exquisite silk Tarpush of Maintenance for those times in which I dress to match my name, which was presented to me during his visit. Mistress Alisandre Oliphant created an amazing rendering of my full Achievement, which is just a joy and delight. I also received kind and thoughtfully sweet gifts from others during my vigil, and many words of wisdom, all of which I will treasure. (Roana, it was such a delight to meet you in person after all of the Historian's Chats!! Thank you!)

I appreciate the wisdom, advice and guidance provided by Their Majesties, and the kindness and welcome expressed by their Highnesses. I treasure both.

For the ceremony itself: Mistress Myfanwy coordinated much of my actual elevation ceremony, including reaching out to the many worthies who were willing to speak on my behalf, with contributions from Mistresses Zahira and Seuilla.   Maighstir Donnchadh lent his melodious voice as Herald. The words he spoke were turned from the dross I had quickly cobbled together into purest gold by Kennari Fionn in next to no time whatsoever.  Liondragon Guard Captain Turpin and Taidhgin were banner-bearers for Ansteorra and the Incipient Principality of Vindheim (which were graciously loaned by Master Elric after his ceremony), with my brother Honorable Lord Nathaniel carried my personal banner.  My Baronial coronet was born by Kale the Instigator of Many Shenanigans, escorted by Vladislav Pasha. My award festoon was carried by my brother, Master Mordrake. Mistress Elsa processed with my Master Waterbearer sash, and Armiger Nalka displayed some of my artwork.  I was joined by as much of Mooneschadowe as could do so, and their presence was a joy.

To Duke Jean-Paul, Vladislav Pasha, Iarl Owen, Mistress Beatrix, Mistress Alisandre, Master Phelim, Count Simon, Master Beorthlic, Master Ivarr, Master Avery, Countess Drahomira, Duchess Margaret, Countess Michelle, Honorable Lady Rebekka, Centurion Charles, and Lady Kale, who all stepped forward to speak on my behalf - I am humbled beyond words for the torrent of praise and kindness that you unleashed with such passion.  I will mindfully strive to remain worthy of, and grow towards exceeding them.

At the end of the Elevation, I received a scroll that must be seen to be believed: In a mere three weeks, Lady Francesca di Lucca and Lord Thomas de Groet combined their crafts to make a Turkish themed Patent of Arms that brought tears to my eyes. It is utterly, exquisitely perfect, and I praise and thank them for this labor of love.

Thank you to those who captured all of these precious moments:  Susan Russell-Stewart, Villana Palazolo, Katie Gilroy, Richard Threlkeld, Kelley McKinnon, and anyone else who is willing to tag me in the photos they took. 😀 😀

To their Majesties and their Highnesses, again, my thanks for granting me this signal honor.

So many of you have been a part of my journey to that moment.  So many of you have inspired me, whether you knew it or not - whether it was by example, or a chance thing you said at just the moment I needed that clarity.  Sometimes it was words of forgiveness when I thoroughly messed up, or advice on how to be more aware that my passions aren't necessarily everyone else's.  Were I to list all who have guided me, knowingly or not, this missive would go on for pages; all of them are enclosed in my heart - and from its depths, I say thank you.

- Zubeydah Hanim