ARCH - Greater Unity

Rayburn, Timothy TRayburn at healthaxis.com
Wed Apr 5 05:41:24 PDT 2000

Gili was saying :

 > I'm not sure we need to look and act like clones of light and heavy
 > fighters.  Perhaps as soon as the toast is made to the Queen, the ranking
 > archer present makes a toast, "To our givers of death from above, THE
 > ARCHERS OF ANSTEORRA!!"  Or is that a bit over the top.  Actually, I
kinda
 > like that, what do you think?

Not bad... not bad at all.

 > So, what can we do to at least appear to have greater unity?

--- The following will sound snide, but is not, I promise ---
The number one thing that can be done is a positive outer appearance.  Do
not respond to a thread regarding the creation of a new champion with gripes
about no Grant-level award for archery.  This game is a fuedal system.  TRM
have just gifted the Archers of Ansteorra with a position guarding them and
their heirs, and the undivided attention of the Crown for at least one
competition.  This is a very good thing.

Second, have the leaders of the community fashion their comments and actions
after the best examples of those from other martial areas.  Try to be
politic, try to inspire, try to Lead!  The precedence of an award has
nothing to do with it's prestige.  If you want the KAA to be viewed like the
White Scarf, then start having every holder of the KAA act like a member of
the White Scarves.  Have them research that well, have them dress that well,
have them be involved in the arts that well, have them teach archery, take
students, etc.  Bring everything together to create the package that is
unique to Archery and still inspiring to the archer community like the level
of devotion required for a WSA is.  Some of the hotest blades in the Kingdom
do not have White Scarves because they lack the rest of it, set a standard
like that for the KAA by example in the community.

--- End of possible snide sounding comments.  I apologize if you were
offended. ---

 > Is greater unity really needed?

Absolutely.  Name me the last thing that the archers did as a community that
did not involve shooting arrows/bolts.  There are lessons to be learned from
Rapier here.  They guard the Queen, led by the Champion but supported by the
White Scarves in that duty.  Perhaps such a rotation out would be suggested
involving the Royal Huntsman and the Bearers of the King's Archer of
Ansteorra?  They cadets also guard the princess, perhaps something similar
could be done by students in archery?  Recently I've seen several times
where the White Scarves have sat down to discuss what it is to be a White
Scarf.  Build community that lasts beyound when you're firing a bow.

 > What do you all think about inter-regional archery competions?

Might be fun.

Timothy of Glastonbury