ARCH - An Ideal (was: Greater Unity)

Galen of Bristol pmitchel at flash.net
Wed Apr 5 15:52:03 PDT 2000

Did I miss a post?  Gilli, I'm not clear what you're answering here...

> Greetings and Hi There,
>
> There is just one small thing here.  I don't want  it to be veiwed as a
WSA.
> The only simularity between a KAA and the WSA is the fact they are both
the
> highest award  for that endeveror.  Other than that, the simularities
stop.

OK, this is in reply to Timothy I think.  I tend to agree with this point.

> It was not designed to be equvelant.  It's not the same level.  It's not
> given out in the same way.

Agree again.

> It was produced with the "goal" of it being a stepping stone to the AoA
> level Archer award, which whould be a stepping stone to the Grant level
> award.

I don't agree there should be an AoA-level archery award, although a
grant-level award wouldn't hurt my feelings.  I don't think the time for
that is nigh, yet.

> Three things here.
>
> 1).  If in fact there is a next one, and it requires more effort than
myself
> and alot of other folks have been doing, you might as well put a bunch of
us
> in a closed box covered with dirt because we'll not survive it.
>
> 2).  I can not allow something that I can do something about go undone.

Now, Gilli, I'm sure I must be reading these two wrong.  Because what
I'm getting from 1&2 above is arrogance.  I've never thought  of you as
arrogant.

On the other hand, it's a _very_ short list of active people whose
contributions
in the field of archery matches yours, as I'm sure you'll agree.  Imagine
for a
moment that we did create some "Award of the Sable Fletch" or somesuch,
and give it to you.  Is your achievement the standard?  Or do we also give
the award to others who haven't done as much as you?  Or who aren't still
active?  It's like calibrating blows.  Don't answer this question, but what
level of achievement is the _lowest_ at which new honors are called for to
recognize?

I submit that if that level is only a handful of hardworkers, that's too
few.
And I think we all know who that handful is, and are no less grateful to
them
than if they had another award.

I suggest it's not time for a new archery award not because Gilli and three
or four others haven't done enough, but because there aren't enough like
them.  Perhaps with new goals like "Royal Huntsman" and what I hope to
achieve with the Archer Defender of Elfsea, more people will find increased
participation in archery more rewarding.

> 3).  I didn't start this list to be a "Gilli" speaker.  I want nice, no
name
> calling, debate.  Something I will try to do myself.

I'm with you on this!

> Ok, 4).  Absolutly correct, that it's the Crown's choice.  But it's also
my
> job, if nothing other than a citzen of Ansteorra to give the Crown my
veiws.

Of course.

> Just as it is yours.

As I've tried to do here.

- Galen

P.S. to Gilli - If you're interested in what I think, I'd welcome the chance
talk privately with you.