ARCH - Ideas for an Archery Tournament

Mirrim and Suvdchin mirrim at moritu.net
Tue Apr 4 14:46:42 PDT 2000

Galen wrote:
> Now, I'm thinking of doing this as a simple Royal Round, due to time
> constraints.

A Royal Round is exactly half an IKAC.  After the Champion competition is
over, all the competitors could shoot another royal round and have an IKAC
score.  It wouldn't lengthen the champion competition but would help
people shoot for score.

 > Do crossbows have an unfair advantage?  I don't think they do if
> I throw in a timed round.

I don't think crossbows have an unfair advantage.  At the Nobles' Archery
Shoot at ATYC, all the crossbows were eliminated early on, while most bows
were still in the competition.  And there were some good crossbow archers
there competing.  A period style crossbow doesn't have any advantages over
a bow IMO.

> Will enough archers come to participate?  Is this attractive to
> archers?  Or am I just imposing my tournament-mindset into
> an activity that doesn't accodate it well?

I like the idea.  My only suggestion is to maybe have someone who is
willing to coordinate matching archers with heralds for people who don't
know who to ask.  (herald = archer = protege = Timothy!  :-)

Mirrim

"Practice principled acts of self-interest and ruthless logic"