ARCH - An Ideal (was: Greater Unity)

Galen of Bristol pmitchel at flash.net
Wed Apr 5 08:37:56 PDT 2000

> Second, have the leaders of the community fashion their comments and
actions
> after the best examples of those from other martial areas.  Try to be
> politic, try to inspire, try to Lead!  The precedence of an award has
> nothing to do with it's prestige.  If you want the KAA to be viewed like
the
> White Scarf, then start having every holder of the KAA act like a member
of
> the White Scarves.  Have them research that well, have them dress that
well,
> have them be involved in the arts that well, have them teach archery, take
> students, etc.  Bring everything together to create the package that is
> unique to Archery and still inspiring to the archer community like the
level
> of devotion required for a WSA is.  Some of the hotest blades in the
Kingdom
> do not have White Scarves because they lack the rest of it, set a standard
> like that for the KAA by example in the community.

Interesting.  But Rapier Fighters have the White Scarf to aspire to,
heavy fighters have Knighthood.  I'm not talking about awards, but
rather about ideals.

What is the ideal archer?  How does he look and behave?  How well does
he shoot?  What else does he do?  What shall we call the ideal archer?
Is it as simple as a knight or don who uses a bow instead of a sword?
When we have people aspiring to such an ideal, and coming close to it,
Perhaps then even more recognition will be forthcoming.

- Galen of Bristol