ARCH - An Ideal (was: Greater Unity)

harry billings psobaka at mail.myriad.net
Wed Apr 5 17:01:45 PDT 2000

>> It was produced with the "goal" of it being a stepping stone to the AoA
>> level Archer award, which whould be a stepping stone to the Grant level
>> award.
>
>I don't agree there should be an AoA-level archery award, although a
>grant-level award wouldn't hurt my feelings.  I don't think the time for
>that is nigh, yet.

I also do not fee the need for a AoA-level archey award, we can get a
thistle. If archery is not yet ready for a grant award what does it take?

>> Three things here.
>>
>> 1).  If in fact there is a next one, and it requires more effort than
>myself
>> and alot of other folks have been doing, you might as well put a bunch of
>us
>> in a closed box covered with dirt because we'll not survive it.
>>
>> 2).  I can not allow something that I can do something about go undone.
>
>Now, Gilli, I'm sure I must be reading these two wrong.  Because what
>I'm getting from 1&2 above is arrogance.  I've never thought  of you as
>arrogant.

I think perhaps it is fatige from fight the same battle over and over to get
back to a "good first step",all I have say on that.

>On the other hand, it's a _very_ short list of active people whose
>contributions
>in the field of archery matches yours, as I'm sure you'll agree.  Imagine
>for a
>moment that we did create some "Award of the Sable Fletch" or somesuch,
>and give it to you.  Is your achievement the standard?  Or do we also give
>the award to others who haven't done as much as you?  Or who aren't still
>active?  It's like calibrating blows.  Don't answer this question, but what
>level of achievement is the _lowest_ at which new honors are called for to
>recognize?
>
>I submit that if that level is only a handful of hardworkers, that's too
>few.
>And I think we all know who that handful is, and are no less grateful to
>them
>than if they had another award.
>
>I suggest it's not time for a new archery award not because Gilli and three
>or four others haven't done enough, but because there aren't enough like
>them.  Perhaps with new goals like "Royal Huntsman" and what I hope to
>achieve with the Archer Defender of Elfsea, more people will find increased
>participation in archery more rewarding.

I fee that having more of the Baronys have archery champions will do more to
halp archery than the "Royal Huntsman". Baronyal champions can be planed on
a year ahead of time. The greates honor I have had was to be champion for
Stargate and Ravens Fort. With being Middilfords champion being a close
second. For me to shoot for "Royal Huntsman" it would take some one special
to me to be on the Sable Throne, Sir Kief, Sir Wilhelm.
I do not measure my sucess at archery with wins in turnements but with
whether on not I am happy with my shoting.