ARCH - An Ideal (was: Greater Unity)

Bob Dewart gilli at seacove.net
Thu Apr 6 16:16:23 PDT 2000

Greetings and Hi There<

I'm feeling much better today.

>Galen wrote
(snipage)
>I'm concerned that unless we _do_ have a "waiting list", as
>Plachoya put it, the purpose of the award may become con-
>fused and the standards difficult to maintain.
>
>Which is why I posed the question, taken up by nobody so far,
>of what would constitute the ideal archer.
>
>For instance, I'm a knight.  I work very hard to be a good knight.
>But am I the ideal of knighthood?  I doubt anybody other than my
>lady would argue that I am.  So I try to identify areas of improvement
>so I can be a better knight.  Could I find opportunities to be more
>chivalrous, or a better teacher, or more courteous or courtly, or a
>better fighter, or more authentic?  Could I be more pious or humble?
>
>Are these the sorts of standards that should be applied to archers?
>If I'm evaluating a fighter for knighthood, I want him to look good.
>Is looking good important for an archer?  Should it be?  I want
>a candidate for knighthood to be somebody who adds to the
>pageantry of a tournament.  Is that something the ideal archer
>should do?  Or are we just looking for a hardworking teacher
>who also shoots well?  Is there some standard for courtesy or
>diplomacy we should be asking for?
>
>Before demanding recognition, what exactly is it that we want to
>have recognized?
>
>I'm not telling anybody, "you're not good enough".  I'm just
>asking for a discussion about ideals.
>
>- Galen

The other day you brought up the Robin Hood films.  Now I haven't watched
them in a while, but if I remember correctly those folks were wearing day to
day clothes.  Even during the tourny , I seem to remember Robin looking a
bit crusty.  The archer  has basicly two types of clothes: work / on the
range and court garb.  I don't believe I can remember seeing an archer on
the range with sweet pants on unless he was also a heavy fighter inbetween
rounds.  :)   So, for garb I'll say be properly dressed for the setting
they're in.

Shoot well.  I think we can come up with a good bench mark for this, say 200
in both IKAC and IKCAC.  That would be ideal.  I know of *no one* in this
Kingdom who has done this.  I've broken 200 in the IKCAC multiple times but
I'm doing good to bust 100 on IKAC.  Something I need to work on.

Makes all his/her own equipment.  Most of us now I think make at least some
of their own stuff.

High service to the archery community.  Running ranges, conducting classes,
autocrating or feastocrating Accademy of the Bow, sponsoring archery
competitions.