ARCH - Test

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Fri Aug 4 09:37:46 PDT 2000

Bob Dewart (gilli at seacove.net) said something that sounded like:
> >I dunno, but I have the same problem. Seems to be the ANST mainling list is
> >the worst about multiple copies of the same note, it happens here on ARCH as
> >well but not as frequently.
> Hummm.  I know why I get two copies of the archery list.  It's because Darcy
> and I both have addresses and we're both on the archery list.  I'm CCing
> this to Pug.  Maybe he can shed some light on the situation.  However it may
> take him awhile.  I think he's still out of state.  He might not be able to
> do anything till he gets  back.  I don't know.

Well I am bit concerned and confused. The only way I know of duplicates
are:

1) Subscribed from more than one account name that go to a single
   mailbox. This is particularly painful to track down because of the
   ability for many ISPs to have "vanity" addresses in addition to your
   default one.

2) The message is posted more than once by the originator. This happens
   from time to time, but not very often.

3) The message is crossposted to multiple lists. This causes you to
   recieve a copy for each list you are on. The Announce list is
   deisgned to reduce this by sending the information to the kingdom list,
   the regional lists, and all the local lists.

4) There is a deliver problem between the Ansteorran server and your
   local server. This has generally been caused in the past by full
   disks at the remote ISP. These issues aren't supposed to happen, but
   not everyone is using as modern and robust of software as others. (We
   use the best available IMHO.)

Now that being said, the person who posted (pookie2 at airmail.net) about
getting 5 copies of things from the ANST list isn't even on it. They
are on the Archery and Elfsea lists. However, there is a Pookie-W at home.com
subscribed to Ansteorra and Loch-Ruadh lists. If that is the same person,
they could get multiple copies of the Announce messages per #1 above.

No one should have to tolerate multiple copies that doesn't want to. If
you want me to help track this down, I will need the headers of the
duplicate messages in order to do it. In particular, I need the lines
that start with "Recieved".

Ciao,

--
Phelim "Pug" Gervase   |  "The problem's plain to see
Bryn Gwlad - Ansteorra |   Too much technology."