ARCH - What to do???

Dewart, Charles R. --G3 Contractor (Anteon Corp) Charles.Dewart at hood.army.mil
Mon Dec 4 14:33:10 PST 2000

Greetings and Hi There,

Since it has been a few days since this was posted without a response, I
think I'll say a few things about it.  This is not a blast at any one.  It's
just some thoughts, observations, been there done that's.

But first let me preface it by saying that while we may have high ideals, we
don't always get up there to that level.  But we keep trying.

I can see how my desire to see that archery is done both correctly and
safely may be taken by some as a form of possession.  There are several out
there that I can think of that fall into this possessive category as well.
And like any other of my possessions, I will make sure that folks use it
properly or don't use it.

Not all change is good change just as not all habits are good either.  There
are a number of changes I'd like to see happen.  And I have a really hard
time adjusting to taking time and just not doing it.  Another thing I'm
having a hard time with, but being forced into dealing with, is that I can't
do every thing.  No matter how much I might want to, I can't do it all when
other folks won't get in there too.  Yes folks, Gilli can over load himself
very quickly.  Nor can I be every where at once.  Which makes me wonder why
I should worry about carrying my Range Rules sign to the range when I only
saw one safety briefing and no other safety signs all year.  Why should I go
to the effort to pay attention to the rules if the rest of us aren't? Now
there's something that should change, and quickly.

Unfortunately, it's a fact of life that archery's very nature contributes in
some degree to an air of exclusivity. It's off by itself.  It's expensive.
In addition to all the other SCA type stuff you need, you also have to have
the archery toys too. Few folks have enough gear to loan.  However, once the
materialistic aspect is overcome then it's a human thing.  Some of us are
more outgoing than others.  Some of get grumpy when we get tired.  Everyone
has a bad day every now and then.

Occasionally, more often now then it use to be, you'll be in a head up
competition with another archer.  But overall, it's a competition between
what usually turns out to be two of the furious competitors around, you and
yourself.  You're trying to out do your last effort.  However, too many
folks aren't willing to step up to the line for a wide variety of reason:
I'm not that good, I'll embarrassed myself, my score will hurt the Kingdom
average, the crowd will laugh at me when I miss,etc.

Let me tell everyone out there something.  Those of us that have been doing
this a while know what I'm talking about.  When you step up to that line
with bow / crossbow in hand, you have just enter a world all of it's own.
That world doesn't care what your sex, age, weight, height, hair length or
color, where you work or what you had for breakfast.  All it cares about is
what are you going to do to get that arrow / bolt down range to the target.
It doesn't give credit on how well you did the last one on the one you are
about to shoot. Each time you shoot the slat is clean, yours to do well or
poorly with.  And it sure doesn't care about any little du dads you may or
may not be wearing. Just what are you going to do is all it cares about.
Simplicity, just you and it.  And it doesn't have a thing to do with how YOU
performed, nor does it care; action-reaction.  However, the marshal standing
behind you sure will if you do something unsafe.  :)

I chuckle every time I hear some one say, "Well,I can't shoot as well as
Sebastian, or Gilli, or Plachoya, or Feaghus, or Moreg, or Roger, or Robert
(although Robert is a special case, most folks don't have the fire burning
hot enough to do as much practicing as he does)".  Guess what?  Sure you do
when they where starting.  This stuff takes time, practice and desire.  And
just like with anything else, too little of any one of the three and you
won't do as well as you'd hope.  Then Mr. Frustration *will* pay you a
visit.

The old season, except for the announcement of final scores, is all but
over.  The new season will be here before we know it.  Let's all try to
start a new.  Some of the less than good things may be hard to forget, but
let's try not to remember them as often.  Let's all try to do a little bit
better at things then we did this year.  Perhaps a few more archery banners
will be made and displayed.  Perhaps a few more Archer's Flights will be
conducted.  Perhaps a few more folks will shoot for score.  Perhaps a few
more safety briefings will be given or a few more signs posted at the
entrance of the range.  Perhaps a few more folks will become archers.
Perhaps we'll be a little closer.  Perhaps...It could happen.