ARCH - achery marshalling

Eadric Anstapa smills at barley.scabrewer.com
Thu Jul 6 12:16:02 PDT 2000

Understand there is a distinct difference in being
an "authorized" marshal and a "warranted" marshal.

Take a look at any Combat/Fighter authorization card and
you will see that there are many different types of
individual authorizations.  For instance, Armored Combat
and Rapier Combat are separate authorizations.  On that
same card you will see distinct authorizations for
different types of Armored and Rapier Marshalling as well
as for categories such as Non-Contact participation,
Siege Weapons, and ofcourse things like Armored Comabat
Archery, Rapier Combat Archery and Combat Archery
Marshalling and one day to be added Target Archery
Marshalling.

If you have demonstrated your proficiency to an
appropriate and designated "Authorizing Marshal" (itself
a separate authorization) in one of these individual
areas then he/she will fill out the paperwork and sign
your card indicating that you are now authorized in one
of these distinct areas.

Once the appropriate box is checked on your card you can
claim to be an "authorized" marshal.  Remember you run
before you walk.  Typically before you become an
authorized combat marshal you first get authorized as a
participant and actually get a little field experience
before becoming a marshal.

A "warranted" marshal is simply someone who has been
designated as either a local or regional deputy of the
Kingdom marshal.  Your local "Knight's Marshal" is
the "warranted" deputy of the Regional and Kingdom Earl
Marshal.  There may be a number of other armored fighters
in your group who have various levels of marshal
authorization but the local "warranted"  knight's marshal
has the overall responsibility for armored combat in your
group and is the local voice of the kingdom earl
marshal.  Likewise the locally warranted marshal has the
responsibility to be the local eyes and ears of the Earl
Marshal and for sending in monthly and quarterly reports
to the regional and perhaps kingdom marshal.

Let me give you a real example here in Ansteorra of the
Archery Marshallate.

1.  Lord Fearghus is the Kingdom Archery Marshal and
reports to the Society Archery Marshal and to the Kingdom
Earl Marshal.

2.  Baron Ulsted the the Coastal Region Archery Marshal.
He reports to Lord Fearghus and is the eyes, ears, and
voice of Lord Fearghus in this region.

3.  Baron Talmon Wilbanks is the locally warranted
archery marshal for the Canton of Gates Edge and reports
to Baron Ulsted.  He organizes our local practices,
fosters archery in the area, acts as the local eyes,
ears, and voice of Ulsted and likewise Fearghus and he is
responsible for REGULAR reporting of the local archery
activities to Ulsted who will in-turn pass them along to
Fearghus.

4.  Lord Iaen Mor and myself are both "authorized"
archery marshals here in the Canton of Gates Edge.  We
are considered "marshals at large" because we are not
warranted as a local deputy and do not have regular
reporting responsibility.  However, because we are
authorized marshals we can help out Baron Talmon by
inspecting equipment, setting up and running the range,
instructing new archers, etc.  Still Baron Talmon is in-
charge at our local events and is responsible for the
local reporting.

When asked Iaen and I will travel to nearby groups to act
as a "Marshal At Large" and run an archery event for
them.  Recently when the local marshal was not available
we travelled to Bordermarch to run the archery
competition at Bordermarch Baronial.  In this case
because I was acting in my capacity as a marshal at large
and was the "marshal in charge" of the event I filed and
event report with Baron Ulsted and Lord Fearghus.  This
will be the last report I file until I once again am
called upon to act as a marshal in charge.

OK,  di I cinfuse things even more?

Regards,

Lord Eadric

Earl Albrecht <ealbrecht at nitekmcallen.com> said:

> > This is generally not allowed. To be an officer of a
group you have to
> > be part of that group or directly attached to a
boundry of that group.

> Ok, La Marche Sauvage borders Seawinds, does that count?
>
> > 1) Combat Archery Marshal (At large)
> > 2) Target Archery Marshal (At large)
> > 3) Group Archery Marshal (Usually expected to be #1
and #2)

> This still confuses me.  Is there a 'local' marshal
office that officiates
> only in his/her shire?  I understand the 'at large'
part now (thank you
> Baron Ulsted) but I'm still trying to get the whole
hierachy down.  Also,
> how does the 'Group' marshal fit in?
>

> Erik the Black--(who hopes he isn't pissing anybody off
by being dense
> today)
> (Earl Albrecht)
> Legio Australis
> La Marche Sauvage
>

> > All Archery Marshal's have to be warranted (ie.
officially recognized by
> > Kingdom/Corporate and paid member) to be in charge of
things. If you are
> > not warranted you can't run a line nor officially
inspect equipment, not
> > to mention that the corporation may not cover
incidents that may occur
> > with their insurance. (eg. you can be personally held
accountable)

> > Any Marshal that is in charge of an event/line or
witnesses an
> > "incident" needs to file a report with the Regional.
If they are not a
> > Group Archery Marshal, they will need to send a copy
to the local group
> > as well.
> >
> > Btw, I may be wrong with some of this, but I'm sure
someone will correct
> > me right away. *grin*
> >
> > Ciao,
> >
> > --
> > Phelim "Pug" Gervase   | "I want to be called.
COTTONTIPS. There is
> something
> > Bryn Gwlad - Ansteorra |  graceful about that lady. A
young woman bursting
> with
> > Dark Horde Moritu      |  vigor. She blinked at the
sudden light. She
> writes
> > pug at pug.net            |  beautiful poems. When ever
shall we meet again?"
> >   Note: The views do not reflect the SCA nor the
Kingdom of Ansteorra.