ARCH - Another name

Bob Dewart gilli at seacove.net
Fri Jul 7 13:55:22 PDT 2000

Well I'm befuddled.  I get told that we don't need an award because we don't
have the community like the other martial art folks.  Ok, we'll work on
that.  I come up with an idea that will makes us more simular.  I don't
know.......???????

On the way in to work the "what to call them" hit, Bowman.  I started
thinking of the cerimony and I got teary eyed.  But then, I'm a toasted
marshmellow any way; crusty on the outside and pure gooo on the inside.

Personnally I think it's a pretty good idea.  I'm sure that not all Knights,
Don, Pelicans and Laurels have special  pupils.  But  I'm also pretty sure
most, if not all of them, would teach you something if you asked them for
the information.

I guess this might come under the heading of a convention.  :)  I don't
recall every reading in the laws and such about taking cadets, squires,
protoges, apprentices.  They just do it becuse that's the way it's done.
Near as I can tell there not a minimum or max nuber you can take.

I don't know about that can't teach without the proper credientals thing.
Your deeds and word are your proper credientals.  When you start flappin
your gumms, folks will know if you know what you're talking about.  They'll
also know when you don't.  Rank isn't always an indication of expertise in
an area.  Particularlly if your rank isn't in that area.  I'll be the first
to tell you I don't know every thing about archery.  In fact, I don't know
what I don't know about archery.  I'm learning too.  What I know and what I
can do, I want to pass on.

But I think we got to start some where; at some point, with some one.
Granted I don't get around to very many events.  But I don't ever recall a
non belt announcing taking someone to train, etc, etc.  I also don't
remember any archer doing it either.

I think there should be a special relationship between the teacher and
student.  The cerimony is the public commitment of both parties to go down
the learning eperience path together.

Our award system is what it is and we gotta work with it.  Yes I do have
award issues.  But untill those are no longer, let's also include in that
group of folks who may take a "Bowman" those who also have one of the
various Kingdom awards that skills archery and its related fields have been
pigeoned holed into for years.

OK, I've rabbled enough.