ARCH - Another name

Bob Dewart gilli at seacove.net
Fri Jul 7 15:58:43 PDT 2000

The almost Patron (you're getting closer) of Archery and Baron of Elfsea,
where live is good said:

>_I_ never said that, and I don't feel that way.  I think
>there's a growing and very exciting archery community in
>this kingdom.

You are and have been a strong supporter of archery in this Kingdom which is
much appreciated.

(snip)

>The question I have, though, is what are you going to
>teach them, other than how to hit the target?

I'm not so sure it what I could teach them to do as what I  could teach them
not to do.  Perhaps smooth out a bump or two and  point out that rut that
threw me in the ditch.  I'd teach how to do thier math, then let them use a
calculator; so to speak.

>Knights teach much more than fighting to their squires.
>But most of the archers I've seen post to this list seem
>to want recognition primarily for accurate shooting and
>service on the range.  I hope that the more experienced
>archers will also try to pass on the ideals of our
>society, and a respect for diversity, as peers try to do
>with their associates, when those archers start forming
>formal student/teacher relationships.

Without giving away any secret handshakes or what not, what do you teach
your Squires that you wouldn't teach someone else?

>> On the way in to work the "what to call them" hit,
>> Bowman.  I started thinking of the cerimony and I got
>> teary eyed.  But then, I'm a toasted marshmellow any
>> way; crusty on the outside and pure gooo on the inside.
>
>Yeah, I always suspected that about you; I like good
>ceremonies too.

I know you do.  And you do good ones too.  But I do wish you'd give hanky
alerts or something.  :)

>> Personnally I think it's a pretty good idea.  I'm sure > that not all
Knights, Don, Pelicans and Laurels have
>> special  pupils.  But  I'm also pretty sure most, if
>> not all of them, would teach you something if you asked > them for the
information.

>> I guess this might come under the heading of a
>> convention.  :)  I don't recall every reading in the
>> laws and such about taking cadets, squires, protoges,
>> apprentices.  They just do it becuse that's the way
>> it's done. Near as I can tell there not a minimum or
>> max nuber you can take.
>
>Quite right.
>
><snip>
>> I'll be the first to tell you I don't know every thing
>> about archery.  In fact, I don't know what I don't know > about archery.
I'm learning too.  What I know and what > I can do, I want to pass on.

>Certainly, teaching is the best way I know to learn.
>
>> I think there should be a special relationship between > the teacher and
student.  The cerimony is the public
>> commitment of both parties to go down the learning
>> eperience path together.
>
>Public ceremonies are nice, but not necessary.  Many
>squires get made without public ado, but such things are
>best suited to the preference of the participants, I
>think.
>
>> Our award system is what it is and we gotta work with
>> it.  Yes I do have award issues.  But untill those are > no longer, let's
also include in that group of folks
>> who may take a "Bowman" those who also have one of the
>> various Kingdom awards that skills archery and its
>> related fields have been pigeoned holed into for years.
>
>Well, I'm not going to try to talk anyone out of anything
>here.  I don't think there's any shortage of teaching
>going on, and I'm sure that won't change.  Anybody who
>commands enough respect from other archers that he could
>attract people to form a publically subordinate
>relationship to them, more power to them.  Just as with
>knighthood, it would take more than just an award anyway.

I guess it comes under the heading of do what you do and the awards will
come when you deserve them.

Or am I full of baked beans?

Gilli