ARCH - ballista & siege weapon authorizations

N.D. Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Jul 10 14:54:28 PDT 2000

>This misconception has long plagued this field of warfare.  The "owner" of
>the weapon and two people he would like to have for a crew need to be
>authorized for the authorizing of the weapon(ballista, treb, etc.)  If the
>owner or one of his crew is taken out, does the weapon become useless?  No.
>Since all three individuals are authorized to use the weapon, any one of
>them can assume the duties of leading the crew as they are familiar with the
>weapon's safety devices.  Also, they can glean others to help them in the
>weapon's use as needed.  Furthermore, as the safety device's purpose is
>universal (will prevent firing in the loaded position) authorized siege
>engineers can operate captured siege weapons as well.  The owner of the
>weapon is ultimately responsible for his weapon, so if he/she does not want
>the weapon utilized in his/her absence, then they must remove the safety
>device from the field, rendering the weapon useless.  Other methods include
>disassembling the weapon so that it is obvious to all the weapon is useless.

No that's cool, I didn't know that.  The people who were running it gave me
a quick over view and told me what to do.  I guess since it has siege
weapons auth on my card (I think) I couldn't technically do it.  I couldn't
figure out why since it's hard to operate on your own and the woman
operatingit did a superb job explaining what she did.  You quickly learn to
act in a team manner because timeing for speed is crucial.  I plan on
working on crews more if they let me.  The biggest problem I had were the
field marshall - some of them didn't understand what the rules were for the
ballista either.

Regard and thanks,

Clare