ARCH - Archery Ranking System

Eadric Anstapa smills at barley.scabrewer.com
Fri Jul 14 12:44:54 PDT 2000

about the term "Forester"...

To my mind this is the same argument that many people (in
this kingdom and others) had over the use of the
word "Don" to describe a member of the Order of the White
Scarf.  They argued that "Don" was the Spanish equivalent
of "Lord" and since they had a Spanish persona and an AoA
that they should be allowed to call themselves "Don".

The "Ranger" or "Forester" as described here and backed
up with some research seems to indicate a title or
position granted to indiviuals by the crown and not
something that a player in the SCA should simply adopt
for a persona background no more than I should start
calling myself "Lord" if I wasn't an armiger or "Don" if
I had a Spanish persona.

Since "forester" is not a reserved word in this kingdom
and it's meaning is no more significant (perhaps less) to
the general populace than the terms "archer" or "bowman"
it seems that on this basis it should be fair game.
Additionally, it is already used in the Archery
Achievment systems in place in the Outlands, Caid, and
Atenveldt.

I could however make an argument against the use
of "forester" because it is a reserved word in the
Midrealm.  The Midrealm has the "Greenwood Company" an
Armigerous Order was created by Their Majesties Tarquin
and Aibhilin to recognize exceptional work in archery.
this can be skill in shooting, skills in A&S as related
to archery, or extreme service to the archery community.
Members of this company are entitled by Kingdom law to
use the designation of Forester in front of their name
and will often be addressed as "Lord Forester"
or "Honorable Lord Forester", etc.

Members of the Greenwood Company hold Order of Precedence
rank equal to that of members of the Red Company for
martial activities. When inducted, they are presented
with a green hood with red and white trim as a
recognition of their membership. Since Foresters are
expected to continue their leadership in archery after
induction, the hood is an easy way to recognize an
immediate source of help or advice on the range. Members
of the Greenwood Company are also entitled to add the
title of Forester to their names and to wear the badge
shown to the right above blazoned "Fieldless, upon a
hurst vert, a pheon inverted Or". In common language, the
background could be white, and a grove (3 to 5 trees
drawn close together)of trees colored green. Centered on
top of the grove of trees is a gold arrowhead pointing
upward.

If we were not to use the term "Forester" then I think it
should be in deference to the members of the Greenwood
Company of the Midrealm.  If this is the case then I
would think we should also not use the word forester as
part of our persona.

Now personally I do think the term "forester"
or "woodsman" (also used in other kingdoms) are kinda
vague and don't really convey the sense that we are
talking about archery.  I actually like the levels is use
by Atlantia, East, Ealdormere, and Drachenwald which are
Archer-Marksman-Bowman-Bowman Elite-Grand Bowman Elite
because they all clearly bring to mind images of archery.

In Service,

Eadric