ARCH - Ranking System

Melanie Black thanatos at cityscope.net
Fri Jul 14 15:52:57 PDT 2000

I agree 1000% with what Eadric has to say here.

I think in all the years I have shot archery in the SCA I have submitted an
official score like once maybe. I enjoy archery, its fun. I do like to gain
skill with practice as well.
I had not shot in like maybe two years until this last July 4th I happened
to go to sort of an informal SCA party where they were doing equestrian and
archery. I went to simply watch, but was encouraged to pick up a loaner bow
and sheet a few rounds.
I started with the 20 yard rage, borrowing a bow from a very pleasant fellow
there.
I shot a 13 with the first six arrows, then a 19.  I decided to switch to
the 30 yard range but to my dismay the bow I was borrowing had  too much of
the heat of the day and one of the limbs began to come apart, so a borrowed
a different bow from Baron Talmon, but did rather poorly and only got a 9
then a 2 on the 30 yard range.  Then the rain came..

I am going to dig my bow out of storage and see if the arrows are still
intact.
I think most of my arrows are either aluminum or fiberglass. are those
allowed at all?
The bow I believe is a 30# fiberglass recurve (one of those red ones).

Well, anyway I was told I shot rather well for being out of practice.  Well
anyway my point is that with a "ranking" system beginners definitely get
labeled as beginners and that can be intimidating in itself. I think gentle
encouragement and rewarding achievement are much better than browbeating and
guilt trips on people who don't go gung ho into it.

Melanie de la Croix